Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP
Hi, glad to be of help. You say you have power to coil+? Check with test light at coil - while cranking. It should flash on-off-on-off as you crank. If not the problem is ignition module or pick-up coil in distributor. If you have a flash pulse at coil - while cranking, the problem is coil, coil wire, distributor cap or rotor.
I have tested this, I do have same power as the battery at the coil. the positive on coil is dimmer than the neg. when cranking not sure if it is flashing, did'nt know if it would pulse or if it was flashing to fast for me to actually tell. I replaced the coil, coil wire, module, ballist, start relay, and have 200 ohms at pick up (have new one but not changed)
replaced cap and button
I am currently tracing wires from the pin plug of the module to see if there is a bad wire. The pop noise from behind the dash seemed to be a fuse or relay, more like a relay from the loudness. I have the dash completely apart and no fuses or relays in the are from which there was smoke at the radio and i have not found any traces of burnt wires etc... still have no lights at all. replaced light switch and nothing.
You must be sure. It either is flashing or it's not at coil negative. It sounds like it is not flashing from your description. Replace your ignition module and pick up coil. As far as your lights go, that is a separate problem, but may have caused the failure of the ignition module. I will look for a wiring diagram to see what I can find.
I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.
One question I have for you is, does your vehicle have a spark control computer located on your air cleaner. The wiring diagrams I have are with or without spark control computer. Here are the diagrams:
Engine controls with spark control computer
Engine controls without spark control computer
Body wiring page 2
Take a close look at this next picture of your fuseable links. I believe the pop and smoke you saw was a fuseable link that melted. It looks just like a regular wire but melts on the inside like a fuse. You will have to trace power on these wires to find where power is lost. It may have been your headlight switch, ignition switch or alternator that shorted and caused the fuseable link to blow or it could be something else. You will need to find the cause or it will blow again.