Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical
60340645

Ram 1500: no brake lights..My Running lights and blinkers work.

I have no brake lights (all 3 are out) on my Ram 1500. My Running lights and blinkers work.

welcome to Just Answer.

You need to check to see if the brake light switch might be unplugged. If it is unplugged then reconnect it. The brake light switch is at the top of the brake pedal.

If it is plugged in then check to see if you are getting power to the switch, if you have power the switch is bad. Below is how to replace the switch.

If you do not have power to the switch check the fuse.

Brake Light Switch

Print

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1997-99 Ram, 1997-98 Dakota, Durango

The brake light switch is located on a bracket beneath the dashboard.

1. Remove the knee bolster, if necessary for access.
  2. Disconnect the wiring harness at the switch.
  3. Press and hold the brake pedal in the applied position.
  4. Rotate the switch CCW about 30º to align the lock tabs with the bracket notch and pull the switch out of the bracket.

To install:

1. Pull the switch plunger all the way out to the fully extended position.
  2. Push the plunger switch inward four detent positions (or clicks). Plunger will extend about half an inch out of the housing.
  3. Connect the wiring.
  4. Install the switch, first aligning the lock tabs with the bracket notch, then turning it 30º CW after installation to lock it in place.
  5. Release the brake pedal.
  6. Lightly pull the pedal fully rearward. Do NOT use excessive force. Plunger adjustment will be made automatically.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Disconnecting the harness connector from the brake light switch-typical

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align switch tab with notch in bracket, then turn switch 30º to lock-adjustable type

All 2000 Models, 1999 Dakota, Durango

The brake light switch is located on a bracket beneath the dashboard. The switch used on these vehicles is adjusted once on installation. Routine adjustment is neither necessary nor possible.

To install a new switch:

1. Connect the wiring to the new switch.
  2. Press the brake pedal and hold it down.
  3. Install the switch, first aligning the lock tabs with the bracket notch, then turning it 30º CW after installation to lock it in place.
  4. Release the brake pedal.
  5. Move the release lever on the switch towards the brake pedal to engage the switch plunger. The switch is now adjusted and cannot be adjusted again.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. After the switch is installed, move the release lever towards the brake pedal to engage the switch plunger

ADJUSTMENT

1997-99 Ram, 1997-98 Dakota, Durango
  2. Push and hold the brake pedal down.
  3. Pull the switch plunger all the way out to the fully extended position.
  4. Push the plunger switch inward 4 detent positions (or clicks). Plunger will extend about half an inch out of the housing.
  5. Release the brake pedal. Lightly pull the pedal fully rearward. Do NOT use excessive force. Plunger adjustment will be made automatically.

All 2000 Models, 1999 Dakota, Durango

The unit is adjusted on installation. Routine adjustment is neither necessary nor possible.

If you are satisfied with my answer I have provided for you please click the ACCEPT BUTTON for me to receive the credit for my time and helping you. After you click the accept button you are more then welcome to ask me more questions as long as it is related to this issue for FREE.I do not get credit for helping you until you click the ACCEPT BUTTON. If you are a subscriber please make sure you click the Accept Button, this does not cost you anything. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thank you very much
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Checked it out and everything was plugged in but it turned out my son and I missed a fuse that was blown. Changed the 20A fuse and they are all working.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Everything looked good when I checked it but it turns out my son and I missed a 20A fuse. We changed it and everything is working again. Thank you for your time.
Thank you very much for letting me know and have a great day