-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

my seat belt light stays on what could be the problem

Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you... I'm sorry that you are having issues with your 2008 Dakota and the seatbelt light, but I'm here to assist you...

Here is the operation on the Seatbelt Light:

OPERATION

The seatbelt indicator gives an indication to the vehicle operator of the status of the driver side front seatbelt. This indicator is controlled by a transistor on the instrument cluster circuit board based upon cluster programming and a hardwired input from the seatbelt switch in the driver side front seatbelt retractor through the seat belt indicator driver circuit.

The seatbelt indicator also includes a programmable enhanced seatbelt reminder or beltminder feature that is enabled when the vehicle is shipped from the factory. This beltminder feature can be disabled and enabled by the customer using a specific programming event sequence, or by the dealer using a diagnostic scan tool.

The seatbelt indicator Light Emitting Diode (LED) is completely controlled by the instrument cluster logic circuit. This logic only allows the indicator to operate when the instrument cluster receives a battery current input on the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit. Therefore, the LED will always be off when the ignition switch is in any position except ON or START. The LED only illuminates when it is provided a path to ground by the instrument cluster transistor. The instrument cluster turns on the seatbelt indicator for the following reasons:

1. Seatbelt Reminder Function - Each time the cluster receives a battery current input on the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit, the indicator illuminates as a seatbelt reminder for about six seconds, or until the ignition switch turns to the OFF position, whichever occurs first. This reminder function occurs regardless of the status of the seatbelt switch input to the cluster.

2. Driver Side Front Seatbelt Not Buckled - Beltminder Active - Following the seatbelt reminder function, each time the cluster detects an open circuit on the seat belt indicator driver circuit (seatbelt switch open = seatbelt unbuckled) with the ignition switch in the START or ON positions, the indicator illuminates. In addition, if the driver side front seatbelt remains unbuckled about 60 seconds after the conclusion of the seatbelt reminder function with the vehicle speed greater than about 8 kilometers-per-hour (5 miles-per-hour), the seatbelt indicator begins to cycle between flashing on and off for 3 seconds, then lighting solid for 2 seconds. The seatbelt indicator continues to cycle between flashing and solid illumination for 13 complete cycles, until the seatbelt indicator driver input to the cluster is closed to ground (seatbelt switch closed = seatbelt buckled), or until the ignition switch turns to the OFF position, whichever occurs first.

3. Driver Side Front Seatbelt Not Buckled - Beltminder Inactive - Following the seatbelt reminder function, each time the cluster detects an open circuit on the seatbelt indicator driver circuit (seatbelt switch open = seatbelt unbuckled) with the ignition switch in the START or ON positions, the indicator illuminates. The seatbelt indicator remains illuminated until the seatbelt indicator driver input to the cluster is closed to ground (seatbelt switch closed = seatbelt buckled), or until the ignition switch turns to the OFF position, whichever occurs first.

4. Airbag Indicator Backup - If the instrument cluster detects a fault in the airbag indicator circuit it sends an electronic message indicating the fault to the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC), then flash the seatbelt indicator on and off. The cluster continues to flash the indicator until the airbag indicator circuit fault is resolved, or until the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, whichever occurs first.

5. Self Test - Each time the cluster is put through the self test, the seatbelt indicator will be turned on, then off again during the bulb check portion of the test to confirm the functionality of the LED and the cluster control circuitry.

The seatbelt switch is connected in series between ground and the seatbelt indicator driver input to the instrument cluster, also known as the Cab Compartment Node (CCN). Use conventional diagnostic tools and procedures to diagnose the hardwired seatbelt switch input to the instrument cluster. Refer to the appropriate wiring information.

I have looked at the wiring and If you have allready tried to jump the two wires out, and the black wire is a good ground.. The LG/GY wire goes to the Cluster Connector C1 Pin 5.. I would inspect the wires under the seat to see if they have been cut by the seat track... If you see wires that are cut, repair them.. Its probally the Light Green/Gray wire...

If you need anything else, feel free to reply

Well I want to Thank You for choosing JustAnswer. It was my pleasure assisting you, and if you have any future questions feel free to Request me

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-dodgetech77/ Thank you and have a greatday!!!!! Brad

-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.