Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

2005 DODGE DURANGO: REVVING..rpmS WHEN..DIE..CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

MY 2005 DODGE DURANGO WILL BEGIN REVVING UP THE RPM'S WHEN IN PARK OR AT A STOP AND SOMETIMES WILL DIE, BUT A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DOESN'T APPEAR AND IT STARTS BACK UP FINE. IT ONLY DOES THIS ONCE IN AWHILE. ANY IDEAS? I TOOK IT IN TO A SHOP A DAY AGO AND THEY SAID IT WAS THE SPARK PLUGS AND CHANGED THEM, HOWEVER, THAT DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM. I'M TAKING IT BACK IN AGAIN, BUT THEY SAID THAT'S REALLY WEIRD AND DIDN'T SEEM TO KNOW WHAT IT COULD BE AND SAID THEY WOULD TRY SCANNING IT.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
What engine is in your Durango? Is it a 4.7L or 5.7L?
If you are not sure, what is the 8th digit of your VIN?
How high is RPM when it happens? When it stalls, will it restart?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a 4.7L and it will rev up to 2000. When it has stalled it has always started back up.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this information.
Your 4.7L engine uses an Idle Air Control Valve in order to control the engine RPM at idle when the throttle is closed( accelerator pedal released).
The IAC valve is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module.
Based on your description of the problem, it appears that the IAC is faulty. It may stick in an open position and you will expereince a high idling issue or if it sticks in a closed position, your engine will stall.
These IAC valves usually get contaminated with carbon deposits and that is the main reason for their failure.
The IAC motor is mounted to the throttle body and secured by a Torx screw.
I would clean the throttle body and IAC valve or replace the IAC with a known good one.
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience: I've been working with American made cars since 1992.