Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Brake lights will not turn off.

Customer Question

Brake lights will not turn off.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. I have seen the ABS control module cause something like this. Try disconnecting the ABS control module electrical connector and then see if the brake lights will now turn off. If so, replace the ABS control module.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

Can you tell me where this is located.

Thank you, Christopher

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Yes. It is located at the left rear area of the engine compartment near the master cylinder and left hood hinge.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

This had no affect. However I can disconnect the negitive battery cable now and they will stay off when reconnected until the brake is applied again.

Christopher

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Hmm, ok, try disconnecting the PCM (engine computer) which is mounted on the right side of the fire wall. Let me know.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try that tomorrow. Just to verify. Can you rule out the FCM? Also any to get you back tomorrow so I dont have to start over with a new tech?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
It could very well be the FCM, but I thought you already replaced it. To get back to me just reply back to this post. It will remain open until we are done.

Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

Ok thank you. I did replace the TIPM but not the FCM. Sorry for any confusion.

Christopher

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Oh, ok you replaced the IPM (Integrated Power Module) Tipm's were not used until 2006. You have the FCM mounted to the IPM. The electronics are in the FCM. Does the third brake light turn off, or does it stay on also?

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Third brake light stays on as well.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Let me look at some diagrams. I will be right back.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, Thnak you

Christopher

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Ok Christopher, I see that the 3rd brake light is wired directly to the brake switch and does not go through the TIPM. Disconnect the brake light switch and let me know if the lights turn off.

Chris

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

I disconnect the brake switch and the lights stay on.

Christopher

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Ok, this is weird, but I do see that in some build configurations, the instrument cluster is wired into the brake light switch circuit also. So knowing that, we need to disconnect the truck's instrument cluster connector next. If you need the procedure for pulling the cluster out so you can disconnect it let me know and I will send it to you.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris, I will need the procedure for pulling the cluster.

Christopher

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Ok, give me a few minutes to gather that and I will get back to you.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

Thank you for all your help. With the cluster being in question, could that be a reason the cruise control quit working? Just thought of this when the cluster was in question.

Christopher

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Hmm, maybe. You are welcome, and here is the procedure for you. I hope this helps, and is the problem.

Chris

Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, release the top clips on the steering column opening cover and the lower drivers side bezel.
Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, release the head light switch switch bezel.
Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the bezel.

graphicRemove the two lower screws from the STEERING COLUMN OPENING COVER
Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, release the upper clips and remove the cover.

graphic

Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
Remove the steering column opening cover.
Open the ashtray and cup holder.
Remove the one center bezel retaining screw

Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, gently pry the center bezel free from the instrument panel.
Working behind the center bezel, disconnect all electrical connectors and remove the bezel.

graphic

Remove the cluster bezel from the instrument panel

Remove the four screws that secure the instrument cluster to the instrument panel structural support.
Pull the instrument cluster rearward far enough to access and disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connectors for the cluster from the connector receptacles on the back of the cluster housing.
Remove the instrument cluster from the instrument panel.

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

Lets say the cluster is the problem. Replacement of the cluster itself would fix it or is there other modules or switches as well.

Christopher

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
If the cluster is the problem, then it will need to be replaced.

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Chris,

You have been a great help and informative. Thank you

Christopher

Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome Christopher! And thank you for the accept. Let me know how it goes, and I will continue to help you with this if needed.

Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris,
It was the insrtment cluster also a few bad wires in the rear harness.
thank you for your expertise.

Christopher
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

That is great news my friend! You are welcome.

Chris