sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT: oil or transmission fluid

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 95K miles. The Natural Vacuum Leak Detection (NVLD) assembly is covered with what appears to be oil or transmission fluid. How can this be happening?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's most likely transmission fluid. Directly above the NVLD is the power steering rack, and they often leak directly onto the NVLD. The power steering system on your van uses ATF+4, which is why it appears to be trans fluid to you.

You should be able to get by with minor seepage from the rack, but if it starts leaking fast enough or it damages the NVLD then the rack will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have owned this caravan for a little more than 3 years. I check all fluid levels when I rotate tires every 5000 miles (about every 3 months). I may have added power steering fluid once in this time frame. On 03-19-12 I was rotating tires and changing oil and I noticed the NVLD was covered in oil or transmission fluid. The power steering reservoir was not low, so I did not add any fluid.

Take a close look at the rack directly above the NVLD and there is about a 100% chance that you'll find it's wet. If you haven't had to add fluid to the power steering reservoir then it's probably a slow seep that's covered the NVLD over time. Almost every one of these vans have some seepage in this area, when it gets to where you are having to add fluid regularly then you'll need to think about replacing the rack. If you're still on the original rack with a 2006 van then you're doing quite well!