Thomas, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with 15 years exp.

2003 ram 1500: vibration..4.7L V-8, 130,000 miles at same rpm rate

Customer Question

I'm getting a vibration in my 2003 ram 1500 pickup 4.7L V-8, 130,000 miles at same rpm rate as motor. You start to fill it at about 20 mph. I canmake it go away by turning left. It then comes right back. The Fan has alitte play in it as though the bearings in the water pump are going and the water pump is making a whinning noise. Could the water pump be causing the vibration.

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thomas :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you fix your automotive problem today.

Thomas :

It will only do the vibration @20 mph and above and you can make it go away by turning left it sounds like a driveline vibration. Likley caused by a u-joint or wheel bearing. Is your truck 4x4?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I've checked the slap in the wheel bearings and they seem normal. The vibration rate goes up with increasing speed. That's why I'm thinking of the water pump since it whinning anyway.

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Ok you could remove your belt so the water pump doesn't turn and see if the vibration is gone. But you can't run it long since you have no coolant flow.