ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv
14457476

Dodge Grand Caravan: 2002 dodge caravan transmission noise

2002 dodge caravan transmission noise removal procedure
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 2 years ago.

ricardo hohl :

hi, do you need transmission removel procidure or is there a noise concern you have with the transmission?

Customer:

probably removal procedure if the noise is fatal

ricardo hohl :

is it a grinding noise? or winding.

Customer:

whirring sound in reverse no movement she said it just stopped when she pulled off an exit

ricardo hohl :

ok, how about foward gears are they all present?

Customer:

i moved it behind the shop but very jerky didnt try to get it out of low

ricardo hohl :

ok first you need to make sure is not just an axle that broke of it is ussualy a commom thing on this vehicles to brake the forward or reverse axles

ricardo hohl :

pick up the van on two stands get the wheels of the ground and check the drivers side axle see if ok turn the wheel by hand see if noisy.

Customer:

what is a forward reverse axle? this van just has an axle on each side wish that was the case, doubt if the van would move with a broken axle. do you?

Customer:

hello?

ricardo hohl :

sorry lost conection for a minute.

ricardo hohl :

this vehicle has 2 axels on for drive and one for rverse , if the vehicle moves foward then its posible that reverse broke of at the cv joint

ricardo hohl :

the van will steel move with one broken axle it just depends wich axle is the one that broke of foward or reverse axle.

ricardo hohl :

be back in one minute

Customer:

we can safely move on, quite sure thats not the case, although I can take a minute to go look if needed. the whirring noise in reverse is constant. was wondering if the solenoid pack could cause an issure like this?

Customer:

hello? are you having computer problems? do you have transmission removal procedure?

Customer:

also just checked the axles all is well not even any grease leaking from boots

ricardo hohl :

solenoid pack will make a noise only when you are aplying the gears this is normal for the solenoid pack to sound like a rolling marbels for a second or two as you shift the transmission in to gear.

ricardo hohl :

is that what you hear as you shift the shiter in to drive or reverse?

ricardo hohl :

i dont mind giving you the removel procidure but just want to make sure is not just a 65$ item thats gone bad compare to 1800$ for an overhall.

Customer:

yes a whirring in reverse and forward can move but very erratic. thanks I want a simple fix also before an r& r

ricardo hohl :

ok does the noise goes and comes as you put the transmission in to gear and back to park?

Customer:

yes silent in park

ricardo hohl :

k, does the noise stays constant on drive or reverse or it also gets quiet after you shift.

Customer:

dont understand exactly, dont hear the same noise in forward as I do in reverse

Customer:

quieter in forward

ricardo hohl :

ok when you put the shifter in to drive does it make the noise as you are moving the shifter in to drive and then the noyse goes away?

Customer:

no noise moving the shifter, only in reverse

ricardo hohl :

ok,are you with the van at this moment ?

Customer:

yes

ricardo hohl :

ok can you start the vehicle step on the brakes put the shifter in to reverse then put it in to park tell me if the noise is lauder as you are going in to park.

ricardo hohl :

take your time .

Customer:

u mean between park and reverse?

ricardo hohl :

yes going from park to reverse and then from reverse and in to park tell me wish is lauder.

Customer:

none is louder, is only louder when its in reverse and you press the accelerator. are we getting anywhere?

Customer:

reverse to park is quiet

ricardo hohl :

yes we are. you are right the transmission has internal problems that is the underdrive hub is broken of from the output shaft,this controls the clutches to reverse gears.

ricardo hohl :

i am sorry i put you tru this but just want to make sure is not just an axle, you have to understand i am not present to see the damage i am going by your information , sorry again.

ricardo hohl :

yes you need to remove the transmission and disasemble to replace the underdrive hub.

ricardo hohl :

will you like me to look up a removal procidure and send it to you?

Customer:

no problem I just think with 150k mi there is a possibility of a tranny that just went out or torque convertor flew apart. but wanted to make sure it couldnt be a small problem first. thanks yes removal procedure would be great thanks

Customer:

did we rule out the solenoid pack?

ricardo hohl :

okgive me 3 minutes while i prepair one for you.

ricardo hohl :

ok i am going to send it to you a one page at the time ok there is about 5 pages with pictures on the removel procidure, this will take a minute or two.

Customer:

thanks did we rule out solenoid?

ricardo hohl :

41TE AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE
REMOVAL

NOTE:If transaxle assembly is being replaced or overhauled (clutch and/or seal replacement), it is necessary to perform the TCM Quick Learn Procedure.

1. Disconnect battery cables.
    Full Size Image

ricardo hohl :
  • Remove battery shield (Fig. 9).
    Full Size Image
  • ricardo hohl :

1. Remove coolant recovery bottle (Fig. 10).

2. Remove fluid level indicator/tube assembly. Plug opening to prevent debris from entering transaxle.

3. Using a blade or suitable hose cutter, cut transaxle oil cooler lines off flush with fittings. Plug lines and fittings to prevent debris from entering transaxle or cooler circuit. A service splice kit will be installed upon reassembly.
      Full Size Image

ricardo hohl :

1. Disconnect input and output shaft speed sensor connectors (Fig. 11).

2. Disconnect Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) connector (Fig. 11).

3. Disconnect solenoid/pressure switch assembly connector (Fig. 11).
      Full Size Image

ricardo hohl :

1. Disconnect gear shift cable from manual valve lever and upper mount bracket (Fig. 12).

2. Disconnect crankshaft position sensor (if equipped). Remove sensor from bellhousing.

3. Reposition leak detection pump harness and hoses.
      Full Size Image

ricardo hohl :

1. Remove rear mount bracket-to-transaxle case bolts (Fig. 13).

2. Remove transaxle upper bellhousing-to-block bolts.

3. Raise vehicle on hoist.

4. Remove transaxle oil pan and drain fluid into suitable container.

5. Remove front wheel/tire assemblies.

6. Remove left and right halfshaft assemblies.

7. AWD models: Remove power transfer unit.

8. Remove rear mount bracket-to-transaxle case lower (horizontal) bolt (Fig. 13).

9. Remove front mount/bracket assembly.

10. Remove starter motor.

11. Remove lateral bending brace.

12. Remove inspection cover.

13. Remove torque converter-to-drive plate bolts.

14. Support engine/transaxle assembly at engine oil pan with screw jack and wood block.
      Full Size Image

ricardo hohl :

1. Partially remove left wheelhouse splash shield to gain access to and remove upper mount thru-bolt (Fig. 14).

2. Lower engine/transaxle assembly with screw jack.

3. Obtain helper and/or transmission jack. Secure transmission jack to transaxle assembly.

4. Remove upper mount bracket from transaxle (Fig. 14).

5. Remove remaining transaxle bellhousing-to-engine bolts.

6. Remove transaxle assembly from vehicle.

ricardo hohl :

yes you can rule out solenoid pack. thats it.

ricardo hohl :

the TCM quick learn is done after the transmission has been fix and install on the vehicle, you drive on the highway race the rpm's up to 2500 and let all the gears come in automaticaly ones they all in thats it the computer has learn the transmission shifting points.

ricardo hohl :

is there anything else i can help you with?

Customer:

this is for the 2002 through 2007?

ricardo hohl :

yes it is.

Customer:

do you know how to print this?

ricardo hohl :

yes right click on the pages and you should see the picture for the printer just press the print icon.

ricardo hohl :

i dont know how your computer is set up to use your printer mine i just right click on the picture or page and press print .

ricardo hohl :

but iven if you dont print it it will stay there on that window you will not loose it, and if you loose it for any reason just come in ask for me and i will resend it to you no problem.

Customer:

also. if i drop the pan and its clean without shavings and particles, is there anything you can think of that could cause this? appreciated

ricardo hohl :

this is cause by streass on this hub like i said is not somenthing that normally will not happen this is common on 604 41TE transmission , this hub carrys all the wait and torke demands from the input shaft.

Customer:

thanks i can only print our first 2 pages of this conversation and not the procedure. can the whole thing be emailed? XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

ricardo hohl :

and as to shavings , you may not see any on the trans/ pan because this is just a broken part it does not damage the clutches and plates neither the seals .

Customer:

ok great

ricardo hohl :

sorry is agains regulations to email out of the site the email you send me is scramble they wont let me see it this is what i get from yourXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer:

thanks do you know why only the 2 first pages show up?

ricardo hohl :

i can try sending you the pages again if you wich?

Customer:

if its the same as last time, i will just try figue this out for a minute , will let you know if I cant thanks again

ricardo hohl :

ok, thank you and if you need them again just come in ask for ricardo hohl i will send them back to you.

ricardo hohl, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: ase master tech / and dodge ,jeep,and chrysler certified thec,with 28 years exp on general automotiv
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    hello just started on this tonight, do you have any idea how to get the bolt out of the rear mount bracket? #1 bolt fig.13 there is no room from top or bottom , does iit need to be removed before dropping trans? jon
    yes it needs to be remove to remove the transmission , this are 18mm bolts they are very tight and will require some strength to loosen , i use to removed them from the top, remove the air cleaner to get more space is not easy to get to it but its possible.
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    yes I also got it from the top .... not easy!! do you replace certain seals when doing these which ones? thanks for being there

all the internal and external seals have to be replace , you will see the seals as you disassemble the transmission there is about 20 big and small seals .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    im sorry, i am just replacing it the transmission, not rebuiliding it. wondering about rear main, axle seals etc.
    yes you should replace both left and right axle seals, they have the tendency to leak after removing the axles.
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    thanks, will see how the rest of the job goes tomorrow have a great night

you have a good night also. thank you.