sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2002 Dodge: vin..5.2L Van was running fine one day..cluster..blown

2002 Dodge Ram Van VIN Y 5.2L Van was running fine one day and the next day was a crank no start and the fuel guage was stuck on empty. All other guages on cluster are reading/opperating properly. Checked fuse in panel and is not blown.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Have you lost spark and fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont know and am not a tech....vehicle doesnt seem to make any attempt to start at all....battery has gone dead on me awhile back and vehicle would not idle upon start...let sit overnight and it started....vehicle in past few months would die while going down the road and abs and other lights came on and would not restart right away....when it did, I had to keep foot on gas or it would die until next cold start.
The first thing that will need to be done to diagnose it is check for spark, fuel pressure, and if neither is found then a scan tool should be used to see if the powertrain control module (PCM) is awake. With it not starting and the fuel gauge isn't working you either have a wiring problem affecting multiple circuits to the fuel pump or the PCM isn't awake.

If the PCM is awake and spark is ok then the fuel pump's wiring will need to be looked into. The gauge wiring is two separate circuits from the pump motor circuits, but there could be damage to both in the harness because they run together.

Most likely the PCM is down and it doesn't have spark either. If that's the case it could be a few things. It could be a loss of power or ground to the PCM from a blown fuse, bad ignition switch, wiring, etc. If the PCM's sensor ground circuit shorts to voltage or the 5v reference circuits short to ground then it will prevent the PCM from waking up. These things can be wiring issues or internally shorted sensors.

If all checks out an the PCM isn't responsive then it will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see in some other on line info sights a bad PCM seems to show a no buss on cluster...however all other guages read properly in my case. If it is a PCM issue, do believe there is any validity in disconnecting neg. Battery terminal and leaving key on for 10 min to "reset" PCM? Is this what you mean by checking to see if pcm is awake? What causes the pcm to go to sleep?

The gauges don't all read properly in your case though because the fuel gauge isn't working.

Not seeing a bus message in the cluster isn't an indication that the PCM is working.

Disconnecting the battery has very little chance of changing anything, but you can try it. It just takes a minute. There's no need to leave the key on or anything like that, and you don't want to have the key on any time a battery is disconnected or reconnected. Just turn the key off and disconnect it for a few seconds and then reconnect it.

Checking to see if the PCM is awake involves using a scan tool to see if it will communicate.

Things that will cause the PCM to not wake up are a loss of power or ground, a short to ground on the 5 reference circuits, and a short to voltage on the sensor ground circuit.