jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Dodge/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service
16831211

chrysler: trouble with the SKIM module..LX..unlock button..two keys

Hello Josh! I have a trouble with the SKIM module on CHRYSLER 300C 2008 model LX VE8M H2 ( bought in Italy).At the beginning was displayed random the fault "wrong key"(also with the second key: it's a black plastic model with transponder inside and lock and unlock button).With repeated attempt the Skim accepted the key and the engine started.Keeping the key inside the slot I was always able to start and switch off engine.The Chrysler res. said they have to change two keys,SKIM,PCM.Why? Exp.900$.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Denny; now let me see if I can help you with your Dodge question.

You say the key finally programed; what is the problem now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello I explain better the problem: Both keys are the original and not riprogrammed; initially the SKIM was able to read them. During normal use to start the engine with that keys, sometimes a fault appeared (wrong key) and i was not able to start. ( I verify both the keys: they are good when the Skim red them and the engine started without any problem). Yesterday The SKIM do not work anymore and always give the fault wrong key (I tried with both keys and the error is the same). Now considering the second key has never been used (is completly new) I suppose the fault is in the SKIM: now it is not able anymore to read the key.) At the beginning when the fault appear for the first time I seen that the Skim once red the key, if the key is not removed anymore from the slot I was always able to switch on and start the engine and to stop it switching off. Keeping the key in the slot, the next day I was able to start again without any problem. Now I am wondering why the Chrysler dealer want to change all the system (SKIM, PCM and riprogrammed two new keys asking me 900$...) Perhaps will be enough to replace only the SKIM module, is it true? Why the said me is necessary to replace all modules? Thank you for your kind reply

I totally agree; I see no reason to change pcm and 2 new keys. The new skim should then learn the old keys.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As Chrysler Italy has not got in stock the SKIM module, and nobody know and can say me how long does it takes to find it , could you please suggest me which model and number of the spare part so I try purchase it abroad. Of course I will ask then to the Chrysler dealer to program it and fit on my car. (CHRYSLER 300C year 2008 model LX VEM H2 ( bought in Italy).

Thank you very much endeed

Give me the last 8 of your vin, and I will try to get you a part number
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
I can't even bring that car up in our system. If you can get me the SKIM part number from your Dealer, I can see if that part is available here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you I ask to the Dealer and I let you know asap
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Chrysler dealer this morning have rung me up. The spare parts will be in Italy next week.

I am astonished, they insist to substitute both modules (SKIM and PCM) telling me that it is not possible programming only the new SKIM alone . They say the operation must be done on the new SKIM and PCM together, otherwise they do not assicure all will run ok. After my claim, they agree not to substitute the 2 keys.... Seems to me Chrysler Italia want to take advatage selling all spare parts they can dispite customer sactisfaction... Really a bad service, isn't it?

Thank you for your support, I will be glad if someone will report about this behaviour from Chrysler Italy, to American Dodge/Chrysler...!

I feel they are wrong and you only need the skim. We never replace both unless there was some type of short or fire.

Good luck.

Experience: 32 yr ASE Master Tech,9 yr Chrysler Master Tech, 13 years Dodge dealership service