Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
17294534

Dodge Dakota: How do I replace the upper and lower ball joints

Customer Question

How do I replace the upper and lower ball joints on my '03 Dodge Dakota?

The repair shop wanted to sell me ball joints for $50 ea (upper) and $90 ea (lower) but just a quick google search and hitting JC Whitney and Autopartswarehouse.com show prices ranging from about $20 to $60 each for these. Quite a savings, but I want to make sure I get the right parts. 2WD 6 Cyl Engine if that makes a difference.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

There is a pretty good price range on those, but there is a difference in quality also. The cheapest ones will not hold up that well and the most pricey usually have a lifetime warranty. Usually a parts stores house brand is a mid to higher range part made by a known manufacturer with the stores name on it. I find usually the house brand is a good way to go.

Also for a good quality part it is better to buy local, since it is easier to return if there is a problem, the cheap stuff online is just that, cheap stuff.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess I'm just wondering what will be enough to get my by. I went in for a $12 State Inspection and walked out with a $700 quote. How long will the cheap stuff last?

This truck has 207,000 miles on it, the paint job is horrible, and it has remaining body damage on the bed from where I was hit a couple of years ago. I don't put a lot of miles on it now that I've relocated and only live about 15 miles from work. I just need something that will get me through for another 30 or 40 thousand miles until I save the money to purchase another vehicle. I'm not worried about a lifetime warranty.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
You could go with the cheaper stuff them, maybe one step up from the cheapest at least. Those should be good for 30 to 40k.
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience: 30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found that AutoZone is in the same ballpark with the cheap stuff online and I trust them and they are local. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome!!