Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge RAM 1500 SLT: hesitation..popping or lack..neutral..missfire

Dodge RAM 1500 SLT 5.9l 2002
Experiancing strong hesitation esepcially when cold , fells like a popping or lack of gas, if you put in neutral the engine revs fine.

New plugs, wires cap rotor.

Dodge dealer could find nother wrong but said was a missfire intermittant on 2 and 4 ??

Seems similar to when the cranck positon sensnor was failing.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

So you can feel this misfire or hesitation every time it happens correct? Does it happen more at idle or more under a load?

Have you checked engine vacuum when this happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes and it seeems more so when the engine is cold, almost like a lack of fuel.

It does not happen if there is no load - like in park, engine revs fine.

You hear almost like a backfire through the throttle body.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. you could have a few things going on here. IF all of the tune up parts check out good, then it could be a bad camshaft or crankshaft position sensor causing your problem. Sometimes the intake gasket cracks causing a vacuum leak causing this sort of problem because it is an air or a vacuum leak. However, if this were the case, then the engine would have an idle issue and would be fine off idle. But your experiencing just the opposite.

If the cam and crank sensor do not seem to be an issue, then you have two other possibilities. Either an engine mechanical issue (valves not sealing) or a fuel delivery concern. You can try to add propane or starting fluid to the intake to see if that helps. IF not, I would check to see if the engine vacuum is fluctuating when this problem happens. If so, it is going to be an engine mechanical issue like cylinder heads/engine valves.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still reply or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost to you.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector