Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
17294534

1997 dodge ram 1500: coil pac and im not getting any spark..smell fuel

Customer Question

i hit water and my 1997 dodge ram 1500 shut off. i checked the coil pac and im not getting any spark. i cant smell fuel either
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

How much water are we talking about? Splashed up or drove through deep water?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
splashed up but it was on my hunting lease so the water was probably 12 inches deep. but my truck has a lift and not huge but bigger tires
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
So you have power to the coil but no spark from it? If so it should just be the coil.
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience: 30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

but while im trying to start it i dont smell fuel either and i have the breather off it. is that normal ? or is there a fuse or a relay that controls both the fuel and ignition ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
The ASD relay does control both and is in the main relay and fuse box. You can try relacing it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should i smell fuel ? tried starter fluid still zip.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
You may not smell fuel anyway, do you hear the fuel pump come on for a couple seconds when you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yep fuel pump is coming on.
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Then it is not the relay. It is more likely the coil.

I am about to log off for a while. But will be back.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ty bud hopefully this fixes it
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
Hopefully, take the coil to the parts store. Some can test them for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i changed the coil pack after hitting a puddle of water because the old one wasnt firing. the fuel pump is coming on so my ecu relay is good . all my fuses appear good.

Country: United States
Make: Dodge
Model: RAM 1500 4x4
Engine: 318

Already Tried:
changed coil pack

Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
And there is definately no spark? But there is power to the coil?