Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Chrysler Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified

Dodge RAM 1500 4x4: oil pressure drops to zero and then back

Customer Question

oil pressure drops to zero and then back to nominal
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

Hello, My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

Have you checked the oil pressure with a manual pressure guage to verify that the pressure is actually dropping? It is possible that you have a bad oil pressure sensor and it could be causing this problem.... So If it hasn't been done, that is the first step that needs to be done so that you can narrow it down to either an electrical concern or a mechanical concern....let me know, we can continue from there...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It did this once before and then stopped doing it for several months. then started today one hour into the trip. after I stopped for fuel.

Checked the oil and all fluids and everything seems nomimal. Just the oil gauge jumping back and forth from nominal pressure to zero pressure, (not as low as the enigine off below zero reading

Made it back OK, but pressure gauge continued to flake out intermittently on the hour drive back to the house.

I had heard of screen clogs doing this or maybe electrical, Seems like the oil gauge works most of the time.
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

The most common cause for this is a "Sticking" pressure regulator valve in the oil pump assy, that's why I recommend verifying it with a mechanical gage first, if it is the pump, the oil pan will have to come off to gain access to the oil pump. If it is electrical, it is likely the oil pressure sensor itself...

If you have any follow up questions, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help until your concern is resolved. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience: Chrysler Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had thought either a short or the oil pressure sensor,

that relieves my mind that I didn't burn up the engine coming home like this.

Everything seems nominal except for the oil gauge jumping around.

I have it checked this week and take My Monte Carlo to my God Son's birthday instead
just to be safe

thanks
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

Good Idea, once you verify where the problem is, you can get it fixed before causing engine damage if it happens to be the oil pump.... Cross your fingers that it is an electrical concern....

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Thank you and thanks for using JA...

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Turned out to be the connection at the send/assembly was knocked loose during a recent tune-up. Working fine now.

Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

Cool, Glad you got it figured out, Thanks for keeping me posted....

Register Here

Remember, You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-Robertr/ Begin your question with “Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it...