Neal
Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

Dodge Dakota: My 1992 dodge dakota wont shift in overdrive

Customer Question

My 1992 dodge dakota wont shift in overdrive what would cause that?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

If you fluid is full and the fluid looks and smells normal it is just going to be the overdrive solenoid.

It is not very expensive but the trans pan does have to come off to change it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it's in the transmission pan?
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

Yes on the valve body.

graphic

Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience: 30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put a new overdrive selnoid and new filter with ATF 4 oil still no fix. Any ideas
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.
That is unusual, I would reccomend a diagnostic by a transmission shop, I really cannot say what might be going on if that did not work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would the speed sensor be a problem?
Expert:  Neal replied 2 years ago.

That should not be the problem on that one, Here is the description of what the speed sensor does.

This sensor is located in the extension housing of the transmission (2WD), or the extension housing of the transfer case (4WD), and it generates 8 voltage pulses for every revolution of the output shaft. These pulses are sent directly to the engine controller. These signals are used to determine distance traveled and vehicle speed. The engine controller also uses these signals, along with the signals from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), to determine the difference between a closed throttle deceleration condition and a closed throttle idle (vehicle stopped) condition.

Under idle (vehicle stopped) conditions, the engine controller receives a signal from the idle contact switch and it also sees that there are no signals being generated from the vehicle distance (speed) sensor. The engine controller adjusts the Idle Speed Control (ISC) actuator to maintain a desired engine idle speed. Under closed throttle deceleration, the engine controller receives signals from the idle contact switch and the vehicle distance (speed) sensor, because the vehicle is still moving, and it adjusts the ISC actuator to maintain a desired MAP value.