Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

4.7 dodge engine with what sounds like valve train noise. Long time friend/ Mechanic and I

Customer Question

4.7 dodge engine with what sounds like valve train noise. Long time friend/ Mechanic and I pulled valve cover, started engine and checked for loose rocker arm----anything loose on valve train componants, we found none(everything tight and the truck does not have a miss) Under the truck it sounds like the noise is being amplified through the exhaust system.???????
When this problem first showed up the truck set a general cylinder misfire trouble code.
The cam drive chain is tight and chain guides look good. The cam /valve train is getting good oil supply. Before we reinstall the valve train cover what can you tell me ????? Engine has 70 K and Mobil 1 is used in engine. ---Any suggestions. Engine is not been hot rodded
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is AMEDEE and I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

Do you happen to know the code number that was in the computer?

Do you know what the engine vacuum is at when the engine is at idle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No vacuum reading. p 300 trouble code( general misfire code). Engine ran smooth............p
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried using some motor honey to quite the engine down? If not, that might not be a bad idea.. If the noise is in the upper end, your only other option would be to replace the lifters and such to quite things down. But in all honesty, that would be a lot of work that may not be needed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have tried sea foam and marvel mystery oil for about 75 -80 miles. not looking for a quick fix. I want a real solution
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. then the entire upper end of the motor needs to be replaced along with the timing chain.

Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Another forum had remarks that the valve train was a weak point with these engines. is this a true statement or a myth. A statement was made on one of the other forums that the valve seats were a weak spot on the 4.7 is this true?

Just stating to replace all the upper valve train componants is common sense not a solution.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
YES and YES to both of your questions.

I am sorry.. but the answer is a common sense solution.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any way to determine valve seat problem short of pulling heads because new timing chain etc. wont fix a seat problem
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Not on the engine.. but once the head is removed, yes.. it gets sent to a machine shop for inspection to determine this valve seat problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was thinking you would have more info. We are both ex racers and obviously we aready knew we might have to pull the heads off at which time we would go through the valve train system replacing lifters etc...... I do not feel you have answered my questions on a technical level. Motor honey really?????
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry you feel that way. There is no miracle to this repair. I know you wish I had more information.. everybody does.. but in all honesty, you are thinking into it way too deep. The problem as simple as an engine mechanical issue. If it is in the heads, they need to be pulled and sent out to a machine shop. Remember, I have only answered the questions you have asked.