Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

Dodge Durango SLT: My durango wont start. its not the battery

Customer Question

My durango wont start. its not the battery or the starter.. I have all my dash lights and door ajar bell and dome lights.. even stereo but wont turn over. we bought a new starter and it still would not start.. there is power going to it from the battery. but the other line.. the starter line.. even with the ignition turned on.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can help.

Do you have a test light or volt meter to do some tests?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Good thanks. Ok, let's start with the fuses. In the inside fuse box, check #12.........this is a 10 amp fuse. In the under hood box, check #16 this is a 50 amp.

If the fuses are good, let's locate the starter relay in the underhood fusebox and remove it. Swap in another one just in case, and see if it goes.

Next, with the relay removed, test the terminals in the fuse box and you should have one with 12 volts all the time and one with 12 volts when a helper holds the key in the start position.

Let me know what you get..........and also whether you have any remote start or alarm systems installed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we have done all of that. and my comand start was factory when I bought the durango. there is no power running to the start wire.. between the ignition and the starter..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we have done all that.. all the fuses are good and replaced to be safe. my command start was factory when I bought the durango. we have no power going from the starter to the ignition when we turn the key.
Ok, can you go directly to the ignition switch and see if there is power coming out of the switch?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do I get to the ignition its a sealed housing
There are 2 plastic covers around the top of the column and they snap together. From the bottom side there will be a couple of recessed screws that hold these 2 halves together. There will also be one or two other screws that will need to be removed. Once removed, the 2 halves will unsnap from each other, just be gentle since they are only plastic.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. so once I have that open then what. my husband has been working on it with his co worker all afternoon thats how we know that its not the starter its self or the battery.. so i figure its either the ignition or the wires... hopeing its the wires cause they are cheaper then the ignition...
You need to check the wire coming out of the switch to see if there is 12 volts on it when the key is in the start position.

If there is, then we need to trace the wire to the remote start system because the control module for that may be faulty.

If there is no voltage coming out of the switch, then it could be a bad switch, but we would need to check a couple more things before condemning the switch.

Let me know how they make out.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im not with the durango at the moment its. im just trying to get as much info as i can so when we go back to it tomorrow we are not standing around guessing on what to check..
No problem. You can bookmark this page and reply back tomorrow if you need to.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im writing it all down so when he goes in he can follow it. there is no internet at the shop where he works. i know its not easy to give advice without knowing step by step how its going.. but lets say there is not the 12 volts in the ignition then the key is on.. and go from there.. if you would..
Have to pull up a wiring diagram........give me a few minutes.....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks
Ok, the yellow wire at the ignition switch is the one that needs 12 volts when the key is in the start position. If there is no voltage there, then check the red/yellow tracer wire for 12 volts all the time.

If you have 12 volts on the red/yellow................but nothing on the yellow, then the switch is the problem.

If there is no voltage on the red/yellow, then check fuse "E" in the underhood fuse box and this is a 20 amp.

Hope that helps.....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would it maybe be the wires though to..
Potentially, yes it could be the wiring, but we need to find out where there is voltage first, and where there isn't.

Once we can determine the general area where we lose the voltage we will know if it is the wiring or not.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok.. so what if neither wire has voltage.
That's when you check fuse "E" as I mentioned.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok.. so if that fuse it good then what would you suggest.
I would need to know the results from the checks I have suggested to be able to go any further. These checks will have isolated where the problem is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay. we can try it all out and come back tomorrow. might be able to log on through my husbands cell at the shop depending on service.. metal roof does not like cell phones.. but at least we have a better idea of what to look for.. although thinking tomorrow it might be me working on my durango while he does his job..
Ok, let me know if you need anything else....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will be back for sure for help with my cruise control that suddenly does not work after having fountain tire replace my brakes.. and my heater only works if im driving over 40km/h all this started having problems after getting the brakes done..
Sounds good........
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok will try it tomorrow and get back to you as soon as we can. I just really need my durango back on the road
Ok, night....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok well we got it trying to turn over now.. but the engine is not catching.. im wondering if it would have anything to do with the PCM. I had a mechanic tell me yesterday that because my milage counter says "no bus" that its the PCM and the truck will not start because of it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other. needing help still for getting my durango running.. says no bus when turning the key. even when it is trying to start. we bought a code reader but it wont conntect to my durango.. but it connects fine to other vehicles.. google searched the no bus and it says it has something to do with the computer or PCM
The "bus" is the means by which the various computers and modules communicate with each other. When you get the "no bus" message it means that this communication network has gone down and the computers can no linger talk to each other and this is why it doesn't start.

The majority of the time one of the modules/computers on the bus is shorted internally and creating this problem. Quite often the PCM is the root cause and replacing it would be the fix, if that were the case.

The only way to accurately diagnose these types of problems however, is by using a shop scan tool and the appropriate wiring diagrams to test the bus communication network. Without the proper equipment in this situation you can only go on a "best guess".

I hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I may receive credit for my time assisting you today. Subscription customers are also asked to do the same since it doesn't cost you any more to do so. Thanks.