Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical
60340645

Dodge Cummins 2500 diesel: I have a 2001 Dodge ram diesel pickup

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge ram diesel pickup that will not start. I have changed out the intake heater, it started up a couple times but now the intake heater isn't working again. I am thinking I have a short in the wiring somewhere because I have also changed out the fuses and the relay for the intake heater and it will turn over on its own a couple times at most. Is there anything else I should check for before getting into the wiring?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer.

Are you getting any codes and if so please let me know what they are?

Does the vehicle smoke when trying to start it or when it will run?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it is not smoking when trying to start or running. I have hooked it up to a computer and i got 3 error codes back, one for the intake heater circuit A and the other said circuit B malfunction.
Can you give me the code numbers, I have a program that is very detailed and will give other possibility's then what you the mean reason could be

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know for sure one of the codes was 252 but i do not remember the other.
Ok allow me about 10 mins to gather some information together for you.

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, my wife was about to head up to my shop to grab the computer so we could give you the exact codes if that will help you at all...
ok that will be great thank you

thank you for waiting. Here is the information on the code P0252
P0252 Fuel Valve Signal Missing
Possible Causes Setting Conditions
  • Fuel injection pump relay control circuit is open or grounded
  • Fused battery power (B+) circuit or relay output circuit is open
  • Fuel injection pump relay or fuel injection pump is damaged
Engine running; system voltage over 10.4v, Fuel Valve current feedback test completed, and the ECM detected a signal from the Fuel Metering valve that indicated the valve had moved.

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp
Here is the test procedure for Code P0252

Please let me know what the other code is so I can keep helping you. I will be staying on line for a while.

Thank you again for waiting
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would the fuel valve signal missing cause the truck to only start sometimes? I mean i knew when i bought the truck it was a fixer-upper but right now my main focus is getting it to start. Thank you for all the help, sorry for the delay. we are hooking the computer up to it right now for the other codes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The other code is P0382.

Hello, not a problem. First let me know if there is any other codes. With diesels they are very sensitive with the fuel system, it will not start do to air also in the lines or to low of fuel pressure. Here is a test to try out.Do you have a fuel pressure gauge for diesels?

Let me know how it goes

1. Bump the starter without starting the engine. The Electronic Control Module (ECM) should run the transfer pump for about 25 seconds. The fuel pressure should be at least 10 PSI under these conditions.

2. If low volume fuel flow, the injection pump may have failed. Note that the injection pump can fail due to inadequate fuel delivery. The lift pump should supply 45 ounces of fuel in the 25 seconds that the lift pump will run.

Ok I just got the other code allow me a few mins to get that info for you too

Thanks again for waiting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks again for all the help.

ok here is the information about the code p0382
P0382 Intake Air Heater Relay 2 Control Circuit Malfunction
Possible Causes Setting Conditions
  • Intake air heater relay control circuit is open
  • Intake air heater relay control circuit is shorted to ground
  • Intake air heater relay power circuit is open
  • Intake air heater relay has failed
  • ECM has failed
Key on or engine running; and the ECM detected the Intake Air Heater Relay 2 Signal circuit was not activated for more than one second.

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)
Here is the test procedure for you one the code P0382

It might be the ecm or like you said a short, but here is the test procedure for you.

Please let me know if you need more help. and thank you again for waiting
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have any idea about what would cause the relay to keep shorting out?
Most of the time it will blow do to over charging, or wires are shorting out. You need to check the wire connections all around the relay box, and test the charging system make sure the battery is good, the parts stores will test it for free. It could be the ecm is bad because there is a voltage regulator inside the module and if this is not working properly it will over charge the relay causing it to blow. It is a electronic voltage regulator like in a alternator but yours is in the engine control module.

Thanks
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Owner
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to bug u again but I did what you said about checking out all the wires around the relay found a wire that needed to be grounded, the truck started up a couple times and now it won't do anything when I turn the key, the starter isn't even trying to engage. Any thoughts?
Ok if it is a automatic take it out of park and put it back into part again. Check the relays and make sure there is nothing melted, remove and inspect them.

Have you disconnected the battery to reset the computer module so it know the problem is fixed?

If not disconnect the battery for 15 mins then try and let me know.

Do you know what the wire was that was not connected?

Wiggle the key in the ignition.

if that wire was near the junction box it might have a loose connect there.

Do you have a alarm system?

Come back and let be know what happens

I will be on here for another hour.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it is a manual transmission, will the battery disconnect still work to reset it? I have no earthly idea why the wire wasn't connected.

If you do not have the diagnostic scan tool to reset it, disconnecting the battery it does work some times. Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all the codes were cleared and still nothing. I think I just need to take it to a shop and have them give it a look. Thank you for all the help though. I really appreciate it.
Ok let me know what they find out. Thanks