Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Dodge 1 ton dually: I have a 95 Dodge dually with thxxx

I have a 95 Dodge dually with the Cummins engine and auto transmission. I disconnected the batteries while working under the hood, on the thermostat. I reconnected the batteries and now the brakes don't work. I just read that disconnecting batteries wipes out the APPS calibration in the ECM. Now what?? Al xxx  XXX@XXXXXX.XXX xxx
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX Apps has nothing to do with the brakes, and disconnecting the batteries will Not cause it to lose calibration, what does not work on the brakes,The power assist?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes power assist does not work.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
OK, first off, you dont have a APPS in 1995, you have a TPS, and it is only use for transmission shifting, nothing on the brakes or engine, if you dont have power assist, then its going to be a vacuum problem, have you checked to see if you accidently knocked the vacuum line off of the vacuum pump?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There is a very small tube with a 90 degree barbed elbow on the end of it, hanging loose.

It is located under the power assist canister and the other end connects to a sort of manifold at top of firewall. That is, there is a tube going across truck at top of firewall with some small tee fittings.

I cannot see where it might plug in.

If that is not it, what is a description/ location of the vacuum line, you mentioned?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
the vacuum pump is located inbetween the powersteering pump and the block, there is one vacuum line attached to it, check to see if the line is attached, it just pushes on, i will post a picture of the vacuum pump to help you find it,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK that larger line was attached to pump, but the small line with the barbed 90 degree fitting had come loose from a tee in the larger line. There is a little pc of rubber hose as a transition which has lost its elasticity. I will replace that. Brakes are now working. However engine starter runs but engine does not start. Finally got it started and ran enough to ck brakes. There was a broken spring hanging from one of its ends. The spring is 1/2" dia and 3.25" overall length. I removed it and fixed it temporarily and now need to put it back on. Do you have a pic of where it goes?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.

What spring are you talking about, where is it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Spring is on drivers side of engine. I think it is part of acceleration system. It is made up of two wires wound in a parallel fashion.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
that is the throttle return spring, i dont have a picture showing where the spring attaches, but one side goes to the throttle arm an the other goes to the throttle bracket, where the TPS mounts,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK got jury rigged spring back on. Brakes work and engine starts. yea!