-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

2004 Dodge Durango: 4w drive 5.7L hemi engine..4 bolts..disengage

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango. 4w drive 5.7L Hemi engine.
The universal in the front drive shaft is bad. This drive shaft connects to the transfer case with a spline.
We have removed the 4 bolts that connect the drive shaft to the transmission.
There does not appear to be enough room to disengage the spline from the transfer case and drop the drive shaft.
What am I missing?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you

Brad :

Do you see where is connect to the Transfer case...Do you see the bolts to the Flange on the Transfer case?

Brad :

I just looked it up and the Tranfer case side it a Boot clamp... Here is the removal instructions:

Brad :

REMOVAL

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]300[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

1. With vehicle in neutral, position vehicle on hoist.

2. Remove skid plate if equipped.

3. Mark a reference line (3) across propeller shaft flange and pinion flange (2).

4. Remove exhaust crossover bolts from exhaust manifolds and lower crossover.

5. Remove boot clamp (3) from CV joint (1).

6. Remove pinion flange bolts.

7. Slide propeller shaft off the transfer case and remove shaft.

Brad :

Brad :

Picture

Brad :

I think if you remove the boot clamp, it will slide right off

Customer:

I havn't removed the boot clamp yet> It appears that there is not enough room to move the drive shaft foward to disengage the spline from the transfer case.

Brad :

Have you lowered the exhaust crossover pipe?

Customer:

No, why is it nessessary? Do you remove the two bolts from the header to move the exhast out of the way?

Brad :

Yes, if you remove the exhaust you will have enough room to drop the driveshaft

Brad :

Do you see the removal instructions above?

Customer:

Is it nessessary to do anything ot the rear drive shaft prior to working on the front drive shaft? That was part of the instructions in the Haynes manual.

Brad :

No, you can leave the rear intact

Customer:

We are going to give that a try.

Brad :

Ok, Have I answered all of your questions tonight?

Customer:

Yes

-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)