Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

Dodge RAM 1500: I need a stereo wiring diagram for a 2002 dodge

Customer Question

I need a stereo wiring diagram for a 2002 dodge ram 1500 5.9L. I've ran across a few but they all seem different. please help???
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

For the base sound system, click here and for the premium, click here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to go verified that the wires match up with this chart.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

according to the chart you sent me, here are the wires that don't match what I have: 8,9,18,19,20,21... these are the wires that I DO HAVE that are unaccounted for: BLU/ORG, GREEN, BRN/ LT BLU, BLU/WHITE, VIOLET, BLU/RED, BRN/YELLOW... everything else from the chart seems to match.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Is it the premium or base system?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think its the base but here is the model# XXXXX the stock stereo I removed: P5603855AM
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

I see all those wires on the premium. Do you have an amplifier?

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just looked over the chart for premium and I guess it's premium...

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Ok now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not sure if there is a stock amp or not. I have another question, how do I identify the power wire for the parking brake.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

I don't see anything about the Parking Brake wiring in any wiring diagrams. Give me 1 moment and maybe I can at least find the fuse for it in the owners manual.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I found it, click here, I actually had to look under instrument cluster.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again, but I did actually have one more question for now. All wires are accounted for except (VIO/LT BLU) which is for (PCI BUS). First off what does PCI BUS stand for, and do I just ground it?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

PCI stands for Peripheral Component Interconnect (Peripheral Controller Interface), a computer bus for attaching hardware devices in a computer. The Scan Tool "talks" to the vehicle controllers on separate networks. The tool communicates with the PCM via the SCI Transmit and Receive circuits, and with other modules through the CCD or PCI data bus circuits.

There are many pci buses but I believe I have found the correct PCI bus, the one for the radio has the VIO/LT BLU wire, click here. It goes to the Diagnostic Junction Port at pin 3.
Also, click here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok but I still don't understand what I connect that wire to. The receiver I'm installing is AVH-P5200BT Pioneer. I cut all the wires out of the stock harness and just connected wires indiviually. I also had a question about the antenna, the stock isn't compatible with the one I'm installing. Does that black collar on the antenna some how detach, or do I need to purchase some type of adapter?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

Do you know where the 16 pin connector is to hook up the scan tool for retrieving the OBDII codes? According to those diagrams, that VIO/LT BLU wire for the radio PCI Bus goes to the #3 pin which would be the 3rd from the top left looking at it from the front.

You can download the installation manual here, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P5200BT

Why isn't the antenna compatible? Does it use a different kind of cable, etc?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

I see now why you were asking about the parking brake switch. On page 5, it says the light green wire goes to that switch.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok hear's what I'm confused about, what looks to be the 16pin connector on the stereo, is where I am to plugin the wiring harness. if you look at pg 4 of the manual the bottom right of the stereo has a port (IP BUS Input). Is that where I should be looking to connect the VIO/LT BLU wire? If so am I sodering it???
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also for the antenna, when i disconnected it from the stock stereo it has a black collar on it. The antenna from this new stereo doesn't plug into it so I was wondering if I needed to somehow try to remove the black collar that is on the antenna stock antenna?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

The violet/light blue wire was from the factory wiring. IP Bus is most likely not the same thing as PCI Bus. On page 8 it says the IP Bus cable is supplied with Bluetooth adapter. Do you have that cable or the bluetooth adapter?

Do you have an auto antenna?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

Are you also trying to hook up to an Ipod?

I think that PI Pus cable is for an Ipod.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/ch.iPod-and-iPhone-Cables.Archived

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok... I think I figured out the deal w/ the vio/lt blu wire. auto antenna as in it goes up and down, no? its a stationary one, if you have access to a picture of the stock one for my truck, you'll see what I mean. not sure if im supposed to pry off the stuff on the tip of it or not...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have the map for the instrument cluster, but I'm not sure where the actual cluster is located in my truck...

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

The instrument cluster is where all the instruments are on the dash.

Does the antenna look like this?

56043089AF

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

If you are trying also to hook up an Ipod it says you need this cable.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Portable/iPod-And-Bluetooth-Accessories/CD-IU50V

iPod Direct Control (CD-IU50V Required)

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Use the CD-IU50V interface cable to connect an iPod® or iPhone® directly into the receiver

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not the stock one no. The tip is at a 90 deg angle. i'm not hooking up an ipod or navi or anything else like that.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Does it look like it will fit though? I could not find any adapters on the pioneer website. perhaps Radioshack.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Metra 40-CR10 is the model # for antenna. It just has a black collar on the tip that spins. I just wanted to make sure that is supposed to come off before I start applying a lot of pressure to attempt to remove it.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

Does it come off easy? is that the only way it's going to fit?

I'll research more after the super bowl, it's halftime now.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.

In the meantime, which end and can you show me what you mean.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it looks sort of like the first image but has, something black plastic around the end that spins. it fit snuggly into the stock stereo...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Well, that was a picture of the part number you gave me for the antenna. If it fits snugly, I would just leave it alone.