Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge Grand Caravan: 2005 dodge caravan, the bcm fuse blows

Customer Question

2005 dodge caravan, the bcm fuse blows immediately, the abs light is on and the brakes are locked. The battery needed to be jumped and the jumper cables were attached wrong, started to smoke, then they were reversed and it started with all these new problems.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. Oh man that is never a good thing to do. Reversing jumper cable polarity is almost certain "death" for many of the vehicle's electronics. You probably damaged the BCM and if you are lucky, did not damage other computers and controllers. If the engine still starts and runs, radio works, no warning lights on the dash like ABS,air bag, etc, and the cluster still works then maybe all you damaged was the BCM. If this fuse was not blowing before the mishap, then I am sure that you "fried" the BCM and it will need top be replaced.

I am sorry that this happened, and if you need further assistance, then please let me know and I will continue to assist you with this.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris,
What about he ABS light and the locked brakes? Is this related to the BCM. The van does start, the dash is working, I did not check the radio. Can I replace the BCM?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Hmm you may have damaged the abs controller also if the abs light is on. This may be why the brakes are locked also. Yes you can replace the BCM and the abs controller yourself.

Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris,
Is their a way to test the BCM and ABS controller? Is any reprogramming involved with either of these? I'm afraid to replace and also have harness issues that just fry them again. How can i test to make sure I don't have both module and wiring?
Thanks
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Well the best way to test both modules is by using a scan tool. Some auto parts stores will have a scan tool that can communicate with the modules. To be honest with you, I have never seen reversing the polarity cause any type of harness problems, and damage is usually only in the modules themselves, so I would not worry about any harness issues. As far as programming the modules? No. They both should be "plug and play" so to speak. Just be sure that they are ordered based on the vehicles VIN # and you should be ok..

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris,
I know my next step, Thank you.
Will you be available after I get the scanner results?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Yes of course! One thing you may want to do to confirm that the short is indeed internal to the BCM, is to disconnect the connectors at the BCM, and then see if the fuse does not blow any more. Do you need the procedure for removing the BCM? If so, I can send it to you.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris,
Yes, Please forward the BCM removal procedure. I've located a scanner and will get it in the morning. But I'd like to remove thr connectors first and see what the fuse does.

Thanks

Tom
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok Tom I will but it will be in the morning. I need to take a break and get on the couch according to my wife. I will send it when I get back on line.

Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris
I've rented a scanner this morning that also does ABS.
I had no stored codes on any system.
I removed thr battery and flipped the integrated power center to check for burnt wires and found none.
I've started the van a couple of times to get codes on the scanner with no luck.
I still have my ABS and Brake light on and the brakes remain locked solid.
My priorities are
1. would like to get this drivable so i can get it into my garage on a level surface and don't have to tow Any suggestions to free the brakes?
2. Disconnect the BCM to test wether the fuse blows immediately.
3. Determine if the integrated power center is okay
4. I've been online and calling local parts suppliers looking for the BCM and ABS Module but all I'm finding is salvage yard parts or refered to dealer. Any suggestions?

If at all possible I need to repair this myself and your help is much appreciated.
Thank you
Tom
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Tom try disconcerting the abs control Module connector. See if your brakes will then free up.

Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris,

Nothing you suggested released the brakes.
I bled each cylinder enough to move the van in the garage on tuesday.
I pulled the connectors of the BCM, already had them off the ABS and I still blew the fuse.
I went to http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf to detailed schematics.
Found out there is a protection diode inside the power distibution module. So last night I disconnected all the cables from the IPM except pos and ran a groud to C6 Pin 2. and the fuse popped. Found an IPM today at a recycler, paid $25 for it, just finished putting it in reconnecting all the harnesses. Test drove and everything is ok.

It would have been a lot easier to start at the IPM.
I am not satisfied.
I will not accept your answer.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Wow, I have never seen this before, and totally understand that you do not want to accept. I will file what you found for future reference. Sorry that I was unable to help you with this problem.

Chris