Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1998 Dodge Ram 1500: Speedometer does not work, changed abs sensor

Customer Question

Speedometer does not work, changed Abs sensor, still does not work any clue 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Does the odometer work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven' t got it coded yet. Odometermay work. The truck was sitting awhile before purchasing. Trying to get i certified to drive. The abs light was on but we changrd the sensor. Planning on getting it coded in next two days. Would there be a certain code to look for? Thanks

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
P0500 would be a code that is normally indicated. You might just have a bad VSS sensor causing this problem. The only other thing would be a bad Instrument cluster or a wiring issue from the sensor to the computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where would this VSS sensor be? Any idea what it would cost to replace? Can I get back to you in the next few days,if i have other questions?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
This year vehicle uses the ABS speed sensor in the rear diff for the vehicle speed for the speedo.

If this was replaced along with the diff, then I would go after the wiring and check the instrument cluster. You may want to also have it checked for codes. The cost will all depend on what is wrong.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still reply or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost to you.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a difference between ABS sensor and ABS speed sensor?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
NO.. I believe we are talking about the same one.

There are ABS sensors by the wheels in the front if the vehicle has ABS.. these are different.. but we are talking about the one if the rear diff.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
New info, is there a chance that the new sensor could be burnt or blown.? Just found that before putting in new differential, put the sensor in old diff and tested the speedometer, sensor ither popped or blew. Pulled out sensor, covered metal shavings, the decision was made to put in new differential.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
YES!!! This is a very good possibility!
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
More details check engine light is on, speedometer and odometer do not work
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Can I get the code number in the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't get it to a computer until tomorrow or Monday. when I get the results I will let you know. Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good!

Talk to you then!