Stonyman
Stonyman, Ase Master Technician
Experience:  Certified Ase Master, 23 years exp. Pa state and emissions lic. Specializing in Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep

Dodge Grand Caravan: The heat does not work in my minivan,

The heat does not work in my minivan, 2002 Caravan. We changed the heat control panel several times, so my mechanic thinks something is blocking the heat. What can it be? and how much should it cost?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Stonyman replied 2 years ago.

Stonyman :

HI. A few questions first. Does the temp guage work normally, and does it put out anything different in temp from the ducts when you accellerate? Does the air flow out of all the ducts properly when you take it to all the positions?

Customer:

The air is always cold, like the AC is on. When I'm driving, cool/cold air comes through the vents in all positions. The temp guage is fine.

Stonyman :

Have you checked the temp of the heater hoses going into the firewall? They should be hot both of them. Also does the blend air door seem to be working when you move it?

Customer:

both were hot. The blend door makes no difference.

Customer:

a little square bar is missing from the temperature control valve (on the left side), if that makes a difference...

Stonyman :

Ok. There are a few things to be checked then. First is the thermostat opening? Both upper and lower hoses should be hot when at operating temp, and shut the car off and check that the radiator is hot all around(cold spots are bad). Try flushing the heater core by removing the hoses and flushing it with hot water and compressed air. If that doesn't work, then they will need to see if the actuator is working for the blend air door, and if the that is ok, then check the door itself for being broken and just spinning on its shaft. The bar could be a problem, you can bypass that and hook the hoses up directly and see if that helps. That can tell you if the control valve is bad.

Stonyman :

THis shouldn't have a heater control valve unless someone put one on it. Where is the valve you are talking about located?

Customer:

Thermostat is opening, hoses are hot all around, so is the radiator. My mechanic says he did flush it. He believes the bar is the problem because it's not there. He calls it a valve, but he means the control

Customer:

I was just talking to him, the relay messages

Stonyman :

Oh, I see. If the temp is all ok, then you will need to check the actuator operation and the door. If the actuator is bad you can replace it with out removing the dash. If there are parts missing, then you may have to go the the salvage yard, because chrysler will probably sell you a heater box. Alot of that stuff doesn't come separate. If the door is broken, you'll need to remove the dash and replace the door.

Customer:

Ok. We removed the door already, several times. It may just be the actuator. do you know how much that would cost me?

Stonyman :

The last time I did one it was about 75 for the part and an hr or two for the labor.

Customer:

ok. Thank you! You have been a great help!!

Stonyman :

I hope it is just the actuator. Thanks

Customer:

the actuator controls the heat

Customer:

sorry that was a question

Customer:

another thing, I would get a little heat when we disconnected and reconnect the heats hoses

Stonyman :

It controls the door. You send the message by operating the control, the control actuates(moves) the actuator motor one wat or the other, depending on the command. It turns the door in the proper direction.

Customer:

but the heat would disappear after a minute or 2

Customer:

Oh, makes sense

Stonyman :

It could be the heater core is clogged up.

Customer:

so I should get the actuator replaced and flush my heater core?

Stonyman :

I would try the heater core first(fush it really good both directions. I would watch the actuator and see if it operates(moves and turns the blend air door).

DESCRIPTION

The blend door actuator is a reversible, 12-volt Direct Current (DC), servo motor (Blend Door Actuator). The single blend door actuator is located on the outboard side of the rear heater-A/C unit housing, below the mode door actuator. The blend door actuator is mechanically connected to the blend air door. The blend door actuator is interchangeable with the actuator for the mode door. Each actuator is contained within an identical black molded plastic housing with an integral wire connector receptacle. Two integral mounting tabs allow the actuator to be secured with two screws to the rear heater-A/C unit housing. Each actuator also has an identical output shaft with splines that connects it to the pivot or linkage of the proper door. The blend door actuator does not require mechanical indexing to the blend air door pivot, as it is electronically calibrated by the front heater-A/C control module. The blend door actuator cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if damaged or faulty, it must be replaced

Stonyman :

Full Size Image

Stonyman :

1 - SCREW (2)
2 - MODE DOOR ACTUATOR
3 - SCREW (2)
4 - CONNECTOR
5 - BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR
6 - WIRE HARNESS CONNECTOR

Customer:

ok. got it. Thank you :)

Stonyman, Ase Master Technician
Experience: Certified Ase Master, 23 years exp. Pa state and emissions lic. Specializing in Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep