Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical
60340645

Dodge RAM 2500 4x4: I have a 2001 dodge cummins diesel automatic

Customer Question

I have a 2001 dodge cummins diesel automatic trans. An annoying problem started last year about this time but quit when the weather warmed up and now it has started again. At lower speeds, less than 40 mph, ( I don't recall it ever doing it at hyway speed ) I will completely loose accelerrator . The engine does not die but goes to idle speed, So far I have always been able to get it back by quickly " pumping" the accelerrator pedal a few seconds, actually not even that long. I always get a minor fault check engine light that goes away after a few startups. Any ideas where to even start troubleshooting this... is this a common problem with this model?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer.

First we need to check the codes the computer will store even hidden codes. It could be a sensor, noose connection, fuel problem, or air induction issue.

The computer can have hidden codes that will or didn't trigger the check engine light on.You can get the code out by cycling the key on and off three times.On the third time leave the key on and look at the odometer.If you have any trouble codes they will appear there.If you have any codes please let me know what you have and we can go from there.

please come back and let me know what the codes are.

thanks
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Owner
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

here is what came up in order:

P PCU

1693

P DONE

P ECU

0121

P DONE

Ok allow me a few mins to gather your information for you.
Give me about 215 mins.
Thanks

thank you so much for waiting. I am sending one more message Thank you
Ok it could be the APP sensor. i am sending you another message giving you the instructions to remove and install the part if it is bad, check the connections and clear the codes first.
Here is how to reset the modules
You can try yourself to Reset the PCM yourself ,by disconnection both Battery Cables and hold the battery ends together away from the battery. Hold the battery ends together for one min then re hook the battery cables back up to the battery and then see if that fixed the problem. I know it sounds silly but this procedure does help reset the modules.
The code P1692 could be related to the APP sensor.

P1693 Diagnostic Trouble Code Set In The Controller
Possible Causes Setting Conditions
  • ECM has detected a problem and set a trouble code in memory
  • ECM has failed
Key on or engine running; and the ECM detected a diagnostic trouble code was set in the Electronic Control Module (PCM) or the Transmission Control Module (TCM)

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).

P0121 Accelerator Position Sensor Does Not Agree With IVS
Possible Causes Setting Conditions
  • APP sensor signal circuit open
  • APP sensor signal circuit shorted to voltage (IVS 2 circuit)
  • APP sensor short to vehicle power
  • APP sensor has failed
  • ECM has failed

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Engine running at idle speed (throttle indicating less than 15% open) for 1 second or running at off-idle with the VSS input indicating over 10 mph for 1 second, and the ECM detected the IVS indicated idle when the APPS signal indicated off-idle, or the IVS indicated off-idle when the APPS indicated the engine was at idle position.

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)
Ok here is how to replace the APP Sensor, you can click on the blue to see images.

Thank you so much for the Accept.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thank you

REMOVAL

The APPS is serviced (replaced) as one assembly including the lever, brackets and sensor. The APPS is calibrated to its mounting bracket. The APPS assembly is located at left-front of engine below plastic cable/lever/linkage cover ( Cable/Lever/Linkage/Cover ).

CAUTION:Do not attempt to remove sensor from its mounting bracket as electronic calibration will be destroyed (sensor-to-bracket mounting screws are permanently attached). Two accelerator lever set screws ( APPS Assembly ) are used to position lever. Do not attempt to alter positions of these set screws as electronic calibration will be destroyed.

1. Disconnect both negative battery cables at both batteries.
  2. Remove cable cover ( Cable/Lever/Linkage/Cover ). Cable cover is attached with 2 Phillips screws, 2 plastic retention clips and 2 push tabs ( Cable/Lever/Linkage/Cover ). Remove 2 Phillips screws and carefully pry out 2 retention clips. After clip removal, push rearward on front tab, and upward on lower tab for cover removal.
  3. Using finger pressure only, disconnect end of speed control servo cable from throttle lever pin by pulling forward on connector while holding lever rearward ( Cables at Throttle Lever ). DO NOT try to pull connector off perpendicular to lever pin. Connector will be broken.
  4. Using two small screwdrivers, pry throttle cable connector socket from throttle lever ball ( Cables at Throttle Lever ). Be very careful not to bend throttle lever arm.
  5. Disconnect transmission control cable at lever arm (if equipped). Refer to 21, Transmission.
  6. Squeeze pinch tabs on speed control cable ( Cables at Throttle Lever ) and pull cable rearward to remove from cable mounting bracket.
  7. Squeeze pinch tabs on throttle cable ( Cables at Throttle Lever ) and pull cable rearward to remove from cable mounting bracket.
  8. If equipped with an automatic transmission, refer to 21, Transmission for transmission control cable removal procedures.
  9. Disconnect wiring harness clip ( APPS Assembly ) at bottom of bracket.
  10. Remove 6 mounting bolts ( APPS Assembly ) and partially remove APPS assembly from engine. After assembly is partially removed, disconnect electrical connector from bottom of sensor by pushing on connector tab ( Electrical Connector at Bottom of APPS ).
  11. Remove APPS assembly from engine.

INSTALLATION

1. Snap electrical connector into bottom of sensor.
  2. Position APPS assembly to engine and install 6 bolts. Tighten bolts to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.) torque.
  3. Connect wiring harness clip ( APPS Assembly ) at bottom of bracket.
  4. If equipped with an automatic transmission, refer to Group 21, Transmission for transmission control cable installation procedures.
  5. Install speed control cable into mounting bracket. Be sure pinch tabs ( Cables at Throttle Lever ) have secured cable.
  6. Install throttle cable into mounting bracket. Be sure pinch tabs ( Cables at Throttle Lever ) have secured cable.
  7. Connect throttle cable at lever (snaps on).
  8. Connect speed control cable to lever by pushing cable connector rearward onto lever pin while holding lever forward.
  9. Install cable cover.
  10. Connect both negative battery cables to both batteries.
  11. ECM Calibration: Turn key to ON position. Without starting engine, slowly press throttle pedal to floor and then slowly release. This step must be done (one time) to ensure accelerator pedal position sensor calibration has been learned by ECM. If not done, possible DTC's may be set.
  12. Use DRB scan tool to erase any DTC's from ECM/PCM.