TIM
TIM, SERVICE MANAGER
Experience:  DODGE SERVICE MANAGER- 20 + YEARS
6531745

Dodge Magnum: I have 2005 dodge magnum 2.7, i crank the starter,

I have 2005 dodge magnum 2.7, i crank the starter, motor tries to start but won't.

TIM :

hello, have you scanned engine controller for any fault codes -- most likely failure would be the crank sensor--and when turning key on to start - does the check engine light come on?

Customer:

No, i have no way of scanning, and yes the check engine light is on when i turn on and when cranking.

TIM :

do you have a volt meter?

Customer:

yes

TIM :

lets check the crank sensor for 5 volt supply and ground

TIM :

SENSOR-CRANKSHAFT POSITION - BLACK 3 WAY

CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1F855 20PK/YL5 VOLT SUPPLY
2K900 20DB/DGSENSOR GROUND
3K24 20DB/WTCKP SIGNAL
TIM :

this computer system and sensors are best tested when using a scan tool to see if we have computer fault codes

Customer:

Tim , I see your drawings but where is this located under the hood?

Customer:

Above or below the engine?

TIM :

sorry--poor drawing -- under the hood into the engine block

Customer:

I found the sensor, do you still want to check voltage and how?

Customer:

I need to step out myself for about an hour. I will return, thanks

TIM :

check each pin for voltage and then for ground and let me know what we have --

Customer:

First, I can not remove the sensor harness. What's up with that?

Customer:

I am out for about an hour

TIM :

slide red locking wedge to be able to release the tab

Customer:

won't budge, looks like it won't slide, what am i missing. Which way does it slide?

Customer:

my chilton manuel says to raise the front end and support it on stands. Do i need to do this.

Customer:

also found the cmp sensor in the manuel. Says nothing about the lock wedge. But i do see it. I have now broken the tab off the electrical connector...I am a tool and die maker/machinist, with some electrical background. Not helping me here.

Customer:

I don't mean you are not helping, I mean with all my background and common sence, i broke off the tab.

TIM :

it is easier to access from underneath -- and lock wedge slides sideways -- if you look at tab you will see it is s wedge-- if it will not come apart that is a sign of corrosion-- and a bad sensor also

TIM :

don't woory about the locking wedge if you break it -- -- the connector can be replaced

Customer:

I was able to slide the clip downward only about 3/16", does it slide completely out?

TIM :

no

Customer:

Removed connector.

TIM :

ok-- with key on test for power and grounds

Customer:

Ground 1 = 5 v 2 = 0 v 3 = 5 v Voltage 1 - 2 = 5 v 1- 3 = 0 v 2 - 3 = 5 v

TIM :

Have you done an engine compression test yet?

Customer:

nope

TIM :

can you do that -- before we go any further

TIM :

I would also like to get fault codes out of the computer

Customer:

Your over my head now, i would have to tow car to repair station and have them doit. Ddi the sensor checked ok?

TIM :

try this -- put key in switch(door closed) turn key on and off 3 times -- do not crank on engine when doing this -- 3rd time leave on and look at odometer and see if it displays fault codes

TIM :

sensor is border line

TIM :

try to see if we can get fault code?

TIM :

by the key method

Customer:

engine malfunction light, the second one is not in my manuel but has this: )Z( The Z represents a flash signal that is in between. The flash runs top to bottom and not sideways, only 1 flash between the marks.

TIM :

THAT IS JUST THE THROTTLE CONTROL LIGHT --- WE NEED TO LOOK AT DIGITAL ODOMETER DISPLAY AFTER KEY CYCLES

Customer:

I cranked and cranked, it wanted to start a few times and finally cranked long enough and motor finally started. My battery is factory and it's a wonder it started. I didn't crank long enough to heat up starter or cause a problem, but what's going on? I don't know if it will restart, I'm letting it run for a while?

TIM :

at this point -- just let it run-- are the spark plugs original? how many miles on the car?

TIM :

after about 15 minutes -- shut it off and see if it retarts without issue

TIM :

possible it could have loaded up--

TIM :

if it restarts fine-- I would take it to have computer scanned

Customer:

motor runs and at low idle it's missing out. I've started and restarted several times. No warning lights appear.

Customer:

I'm hesitant to drive it now until someone can follow me if something happens.

Customer:

i have 130,000 miles and not sure when spark plugs were changed last

Customer:

Sounds like it needs to go for a check-up

TIM :

correct-- old spark plugs can cause this to - if we do not have any fault codes =-- it would not hurt to throw a new set of plugs in it

Customer:

Are the plugs hard to change for a person like myself, or would qualified tech do it

Customer:

what does the sensor do

Customer:

Appreciate your help, wished we could of fixed her.