tripletauto
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  looking forward to helping you with your dodge and getting you back on the road
15993919

how many blend doors in 99 durango have in the heater box

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  tripletauto replied 2 years ago.

tripletauto :

HELLO,

tripletauto :

I will be glad to assist you with your durango

tripletauto :

as far as the hot/cold blend door you only have one. this is a two sided door

tripletauto :

and there are two other doors for airflow direction

tripletauto :

Full Size Image

Customer :

does this run on gears

tripletauto :

for a 99 i am showing the temp control to be run off of cable

tripletauto :

the other doors run off of actuators

tripletauto :

Full Size Image

Customer :

the dealer say they need to change the heater box because the gears are messed up

tripletauto :

what is problem you are having?

tripletauto :

the doors will break in hese

tripletauto :

*these

Customer :

air blowing out vents but no heat air

tripletauto :

so no heat correct? air blows out vents as should?

Customer :

changed door and cable both work fine and yes no heat

tripletauto :

I do not know what gears they are talking about cable moves door directs air to heater core. have seen the doors break and close off heater core

tripletauto :

make sure both heater hoses are getting warm this will let you know heater core is flowing coolant

Customer :

both heater hoses hot and flushed out installed new core in november

tripletauto :

have seen some issues before of heater core not installed properly allowing air to flow across core and not thru causing no heat issue

Customer :

could it be a vaccum problem

tripletauto :

not for heat as the door is cable controlled

tripletauto :

did have heat after core replacement?

Customer :

no

Customer :

before yes core leaking

tripletauto :

heater core is not seated in box correctly

tripletauto :

some aftermarket cores will not seat also

Customer :

the dealer is trying to charge me for a new box but have not pulled the dash

tripletauto :

they are just guessing it sounds like

Customer :

at 350.00for a used box

tripletauto :

if core is not positioned properly air will go around or across core and not heat

tripletauto :

air will take least restricted path

tripletauto :

if you are sure door is not broken and cable is moving door as should this is only possibility

tripletauto :

From what you tell me i do not think you need a box.Not being able to see vehicle myself cannot be 100% sure

Customer :

so the core is not seated correctly because the door works and cable is brand new

tripletauto :

yes this is what it sounds like to me

tripletauto :

air has to be directed so only flow is thru the fins of heater core

Customer :

we hooked up the cable to the door while the box was off the truck and worked fine installed everthing in truck and still works fine

tripletauto :

and you looked at door and made sure it was not broke in half?

Customer :

yes the door i got from junk yard was in good condition better than orignal

tripletauto :

there is a door on each side of pivot that cable hooks too door is one piece but two sides move have seen many dodges that one side breaks and it sounds like door is moving but it is only one side working

tripletauto :

door inside heater box correct?

Customer :

yes

tripletauto :

i dont feel you need a new box sounds like need to re install core and make sure it is seated and sealed off be sure foam is still around core also

Customer :

we took top of box off and made sure its a pivot door

tripletauto :

need to check and be sure core is seated correctly. since you had heat before and not after this sounds like your problem

tripletauto :

I found another problem just like yours here was the posted fix:

tripletauto :

FIX posted on Jan 25, 2007 2:14:15 PM

removed heater box again after all other attempts failed & found a big oops, heater core not properly positioned in slot in case airflow was blowing across core instead of through core reposition core & reinstalled & heat works great i guess i was in to big of a hurry, thanks for all your help.

Customer :

sound like the dealer is just guessing like you said thank you for your time willtell dealer what you said

tripletauto :

no problem

tripletauto :

good luck let me know what you find

Customer :

i will

tripletauto :

you can post back to this question even after you accept answer if need further assistance