Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

dodge ram 3500: shifter sticking on after in park..brakes..automatic

shifter sticking on after in park ,can't physically pull it down ,it minus 20 out side, and takes quite a few attempts pressing on brakes and try to shift out of park . parking in garage to nite , seems ok shift on level ground in garage, it seems that uneven groud a slight slope is the cause ??2012 dodge ram 3500 long box laramie diesel 4x4 automatic. any one else having issues ? thank you for any help on this one.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.That is not a problem that I am aware of, this could be a problem with the brake light switch which also signals the release of the shifter. Although that would not seem to account for the issue when parked on a grade. Can you get it in to the dealer? Or is there not one near you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this rings a bell theres a trail er plug i believe under neath that is not covered up maybe ill check to see if theres snow in there, no i need to go to work tmmr , i kept my old 2003 laramie standard 450000 plus on it run perfect ... well ill thaw it in garage tonite . i think you might be right on the signal , so it seemed fine when i left it in neutral as I've just been moving vehicles around yard . noel to drive or reverse is good, but park. this truck also has the remote start and I've caught myself try to shift when key is not in or turn in ignition and it will do the same not letting shifter release , maybe that is causing problem to maybe ignition key is not recognized in key spot ??
Expert:  Neal replied 4 years ago.
If the key is in the correct position it should recognize it without issue. But if it does it again double check the key position. You can also check the brake light switch under the dash to make sure it is not loose or damaged somehow.