-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)

1996 Dodge Stratus ES: 2.0L..cylinder..I have a no spark condition

1996 Dodge Stratus ES 2.0L 4 cylinder. I have a no spark condition, and can't figgure out why. I'm getting air, fuel, and the engine cranks; just no spark. I have replaced cam and crank sensors along with wiring harnesses, the spark plugs and plug wires. I checked fuses. I used an ohmeter and i'm not getting anything from the ignition coil. {i have a distributorless system}. Is this a PCM problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer...My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today...

Brad :

May I ask if the vehicle has any DTC's?

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

I can check it out tomorrow. what is a DTC ?

Brad :

A Diagnostic Trouble Code

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

Oh. I've already had it scanned for trouble codes, and no trouble codes show up

Brad :

Has the timing belt been replaced recently?

Brad :

And when did vehicle start having problems?

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

Yes it has. About 3 or 4 weeks ago. And it has been working great ever since on a daily basis. But i did recently put in a new clutch kit two days ago and i put my tranny back on and everything else i had to take off to replace the clutch; i tried to start it up and thats when the trouble started...

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

It refused to start after i put in a new clutch.

Brad :

Ok, that helps....Did you perhaps pinch the wiring harness between bellhousing?

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

I dont believe so, but i will check it out first thing tomorow

Brad :

Did you unplug the coil and Camshaft Position sensor?

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

No

Brad :

Ok, Im asking because the Coil and Camshaft sensor has the same plug in...And it will connect to either of the two....I have had issues where customer has swapped the two, and ended up with a No-Start with No DTC's

Brad :

I work at a Dodge Dealership and in fact it was another shop that couldnt fix it and brought it to me...And I fixed it in 20min..

Brad :

Well if all that is well and good, we need to start Diag....

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

nice! you seem to know your stuff!

Brad :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX doesnt hurt...

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

okay. so how do we "start Diag..."

Brad :

Ok, what I want to know is if the ASD relay is working.....You said you had fuel, do you mean you have fuel psi or Injectors are firing?

Brad :

And did you verify that you plugged all harness's up, and any other things that you had to u-plug during the Trans R&R?

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

I did check the ASD relay and it is getting voltage and seems to look good. I have fuel pressure (i checked by moving the valve stem on the fuel test port rail). I do not know if the injectors are good or not- Should i just take an injector out and crank engine and see if it spits out any fuel?

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

yes. I did verify to make sure all harnesses were plugged back in.

Brad :

Do not remove injectors, that wont be nessesary..

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

k

Brad :

Are you at vehicle now?

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

I'm not. I will be tomorow morning though.

Brad :

Ok, you just want to get some tests to do for tomm? Correct?

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

yes. Because i can't figure out this no-spark situation for the life of me...

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

Or would it be more convenient to chat tomorow when im at the vehicle?

Brad :

Ok, I will help you......Now are you sure that its not getting any spark?

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

Positive. Im not getting anything from the plug wires or ignition coil. No spark at all.

Brad :

Ok let me post something for you to look at...

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

I even tried push starting it with some friends...

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

okay.

Brad :

FAILURE TO START TEST - 2.0/2.4L

This no-start test checks the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor.

Use the DRB scan tool to test the camshaft position sensor and the sensor circuits. Refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostics Procedure Manual. Refer to the wiring diagrams section for circuit information.

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) supplies 8 volts to the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor through one circuit. If the 8 volt supply circuit shorts to ground, neither sensor will produce a signal (output voltage to the PCM)

When the ignition key is turned and left in the On position, the PCM automatically energizes the Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay. However, the controller de-energizes the relay within one second because it has not received a camshaft position sensor signal indicating engine rotation.

During cranking, the ASD relay will not energize until the PCM receives a camshaft position sensor signal. Secondly, the ASD relay remains energized only if the controller senses a crankshaft position sensor signal immediately after detecting the camshaft position sensor signal.

1. Check battery voltage. Voltage should approximately 12.66 volts or higher to perform failure to start test.

2. Disconnect the harness connector from the coil pack Ignition Coil Engine Harness Connector

3. Connect a test light to the B+ (battery voltage) terminal of the coil electrical connector and ground. The B+ wire for the DIS coil is the center terminal. Do not spread the terminal with the test light probe.

4. Turn the ignition key to the ON position. The test light should flash On and then Off. Do not turn the Key to off position, leave it in the On position.

1. If the test light flashes momentarily, the PCM grounded the ASD relay. Proceed to step 5.

2. If the test light did not flash, the ASD relay did not energize. The cause is either the relay or one of the relay circuits. Use the DRB scan tool to test the ASD relay and circuits. Refer to the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostics Procedure Manual. Refer to the wiring diagrams section for circuit information.

5. Crank the engine. (If the key was placed in the off position after step 4, place the key in the On position before cranking. Wait for the test light to flash once, then crank the engine.)

6. If the test light momentarily flashes during cranking, the PCM is not receiving a crankshaft position sensor signal.

7. If the test light did not flash during cranking, unplug the crankshaft position sensor connector. Turn the ignition key to the off position. Turn the key to the On position, wait for the test light to momentarily flash once, then crank the engine. If the test light momentarily flashes, the crankshaft position sensor is shorted and must be replaced. If the light did not flash, the cause of the no-start is in either the crankshaft position sensor/camshaft position sensor 8 volt supply circuit, or the camshaft position sensor output or ground circuits.

Brad :

Thats the Test for no start .... Do you understand it?

Brad :

Do you see a image?

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

Yes. The test looks pretty straightforward. I will give it a shot first thing tomorow! I don't know if your busy tomorow or not, but i guess i will send you a message and tell you if what happens. (this is the first time ive used this answer. com website)

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

I do not see the image. what do i click on to make the immage appear?

Brad :

Ok dont worry, I just started being an Expert on here Wednesday...lol

Brad :

I havent got the posting photos down pat yet...Sorry, it was a picutre of the coil connector

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

haha okay. No prob. So do i just hit u up tomorrow and let you know what happens?

Brad :

That test will tell us if its bad coil, bad Crankshaft sensor/or wiring, bad Camshaft sensor/wiring, and ASD Relay....

Brad :

I still seem to think that since it started when you installed the trans, that A: something is pinched B: Something isnt connected

Brad :

If you are satisfied with the info I have provided you, and want to follow-up with me tomm when you run the tests...Please click ACCEPT

Brad :

It was a pleasure working with you tonight....

JACUSTOMER-zlmo5ydy- :

Okay i will follow up with you tomorrow

Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, so i completed the no start test through step 6. it appears that "the PCM is not receiving a crankshaft position sensor signal". i have replaced the crankshaft position sensor as well as the plug, but the wiring was fairly melted, it had to be cleaned up for about 8 inches. is it possible that whatever caused this could have shorted something further up the line?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.

Hello, Can you tell what melted the wire?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not 100% on that one. the wires were covered in oil and power steering fluid for a time, other than some kind of massive short that's all i've got.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.

I understand....Did you repair the wire?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, as much as was possible. the wires are still kind of gunky with greenish film on them. not sure if that will inhibit the flow of electricity, but it seems possible.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Ok "ANY" green on the wire will cause HIGH resistance....That is bad... The PCM needs to able to accuraly monitor the Crankshaft and Camshaft is order to supply the fuel and ignition at the correct time...You need to replace the wire as far up as the "Green" goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. i'll get working on that. may take some time. can i do a follow-up when i finish re-wiring if it is still inop?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you can follow-up.....If you are happy with my answer's so far can you click ACCEPT.....If you have anymore questions feel free to follow up with me...Thanks Brad
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience: 16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)