Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical
60340645

2003 dodge: blend door..blows cold air..drivers side..passengers side

2003 dodge ram wind blend door.....heater blows cold air on drivers side and hot on on passengers side.which door causes this? i think its the one behind the cup holder,over the transmission tunnel.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Yes you are correct, its the temputure Blend Door Actuator

CLICK HERE for the removal

CLICK HERE for Install

Please let me know if you need more help.

Thanks you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks.and ofcourse ill accept your answer.

is it possible to take the cup holder out and get to it or do i need to take the whole dash out.i havent looked into this truck yet.its my grandfathers and doing it for him.i shouldnt have any problems,just trying to see exactly what im getting into befor i go pick it up.maybe a picture or diagram would give me an idea.lol,just trying to get in my head what im up against.thanks

The bad news is no you can not just remove the cup holder, the instrument panel need to come out to do this repair. If you click on the blue that will take you to pics to help. Everywhere you see blue that will take you to more instructions and pics.

Sorry there is no easy or quick tricks for you.

Please let me know if I can help some more.

Thanks

ok here is a set of instruction but it does not have pics sorry about that.

Removal & Installation

Print

CAUTION On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position.
  2. Locate the temperature control knob in the mid (12 o'clock) position.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  4. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  5. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle, as follows:
    1. Remove the left A-pillar trim.
    2. Remove the instrument panel top cover.
    3. Disconnect the headliner wire harness connector located at the A-pillar.
    4. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, from the notch on the bottom, remove the left instrument panel side cover.
    5. Remove the left cowl trim panel.
    6. Remove the steering column.
    7. Remove the two bolts that secure the steering column support bracket to the instrument panel.
    8. Remove the park brake release handle actuator rod.
    9. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector located above the brake pedal from the bulkhead wire harness connector.
    10. Remove the instrument panel drivers side bezel.
    11. Remove the three bolts that secure the left side of the instrument panel to the dash panel.
    12. Remove the floor console, if equipped.
    13. Remove the air bag control module cover, if equipped.
    14. Disconnect the air bag control module electrical connector.
    15. Remove the two bolts that secure the instrument panel to the center of the floor panel.
    16. Remove the right cowl trim cover.
    17. Disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors from the two body wire harness connectors located on the right side of the cowl panel.
    18. Disconnect the antenna coaxial cable connector from the radio coaxial cable connector located on the right side of the cowl panel.
    19. Remove the one bolt that secures the instrument panel to the HVAC housing below the glove box opening.
    20. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, from the notch on the bottom, remove the right instrument panel side cover from the instrument panel.
    21. Remove the right A-pillar trim.
    22. Remove the three bolts that secure the right side instrument panel bracket to the dash panel.
    23. Remove the four screws that secure the instrument panel to the top of the cowl panel.
    24. Remove the two bolts that secure the instrument panel to the top of the cowl panel.
    25. With the help of an assistant, lift the instrument panel up and off of the cowl panel and remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
    26. If required, remove the four plastic screws inserts from the top of the cowl panel.

6. Remove the HVAC housing from the vehicle:
    1. Disconnect the liquid line refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
    2. Remove the accumulator. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
    3. Drain the engine cooling system.
    4. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
    5. Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) from the dash panel and set it aside, but do not unplug the PCM wire harness connectors. Refer to Electronic Control Modules for the procedures.
    6. Remove the nuts from the HVAC housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
    7. Remove the nuts that secure the HVAC housing to the mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel.
    8. Pull the HVAC housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and the evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
    9. Remove the HVAC housing from the vehicle.

7. Unplug the wire harness connector from the blend door actuator.
  8. Remove the two mounting screws which secure the actuator to the housing.
  9. Slide the blend door actuator off the blend door shaft.
    NOTE A black plastic coupler may be attached to the blend door shaft. Remove the coupler and inspect for damage. Reinstall if there is no damage found.

To install:

NOTE Before installing the blend door actuator, be certain that the blend door is not binding and is capable of full travel in both directions.

1. Align the actuator with the blend door shaft and rotate the actuator to align it to the mounting bosses on the HVAC housing.
  2. Align and install the actuator screws. Tighten the mounting screws to 20 inch lbs. (2.2 Nm).
  3. Plug in the wire harness connector to the blend door actuator.
  4. Install the HVAC housing in the vehicle, as follows.
    1. Position the HVAC housing to the dash panel. Be certain that the evaporator condensate drain tube and the housing mounting studs are inserted into their correct mounting holes.
    2. Install the nuts that secure the HVAC housing to the mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm).
    3. Install and tighten the nuts onto the HVAC housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 60 inch lbs. (7 Nm).
    4. Unplug or remove the tape from the heater core tubes. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes and fill the engine cooling system.
    5. If the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning, proceed to installation of the instrument panel. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, install the accumulator. Connect the accumulator inlet tube coupler to the evaporator outlet tube.

5. Unplug or remove the tape from the liquid line and the evaporator inlet tube fittings. Connect the liquid line coupler to the evaporator inlet tube.
    1. Evacuate and charge the refrigerant system, as outlined in this section.
    2. Reinstall the PCM to the dash panel.

6. Install the instrument panel, as follows:
    1. If removed, install the four plastic screw inserts into the top of the cowl panel.
    2. With the help of an assistant, position the instrument panel into the vehicle and install the right side guide pin and the left side guide hook to the sides of the cowl panel.
    3. Install the two bolts that secure the instrument panel to the top of the cowl panel. Tighten the bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
    4. Install the four screws that secure the instrument panel to the top of the cowl panel. Tighten the screws to 20 inch lbs. (2.2 Nm).
    5. Install the three bolts that secure the right side instrument panel bracket to the cowl panel. Tighten the bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
    6. Install the right A-pillar trim.
    7. Install the right instrument panel side cover.
    8. Install the one bolt that secures the instrument panel to the HVAC housing below the glove box opening. Tighten the bolt securely.
    9. Connect the radio coaxial cable connector to the antenna coaxial cable connector located on the right side of the cowl panel.
    10. Connect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors to the two body wire harness connectors located on the right side of the cowl panel.
    11. Install the right cowl trim panel.
    12. Install the two bolts that secure the instrument panel to the center of the floor panel. Tighten the bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
    13. Connect the air bag control module electrical connector.
    14. Install the air bag control module cover, if equipped.
    15. Install the floor console, if equipped.
    16. Install the three bolts that secure the left side of the instrument panel to the dash panel. Tighten the bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
    17. Install the instrument panel drivers side bezel.
    18. Install the left cowl trim panel.
    19. Connect the instrument panel wire harness connector located above the brake pedal to the bulkhead wire harness connector.
    20. Install the park brake release handle actuator rod.
    21. Install the two bolts that secure the steering column support bracket to the instrument panel. Tighten the bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
    22. Install the steering column.
    23. Install the left cowl trim cover.
    24. Install the left instrument panel side cover.
    25. Connect the headliner wire harness connector located at the A-pillar.
    26. Install the instrument panel top cover.
    27. Install the left A-pillar trim.

7. Make sure the Temperature Control Knob is in the mid (12 o'clock) position to allow the actuator to automatically position itself in the mid position and come to a complete stop when powered up.
  8. Connect the battery negative cable.

Repair1014U, Repair Shop Owner
Experience: Diagnosticas & Electrical
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

lmao,as i hit reply the button the blue pages popped up sorry..that will give me an idea.

again,thanks for your help and sorry for the mix up...

No problem thank you for the accept.

Good luck and have a great day.

Thank you again