Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Chrysler Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Replace the tensioner pulley on my 2005 dodge neon 2.0 engine?

Customer Question

How do I replace the tensioner pulley on my 2005 dodge neon 2.0 engine?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

Hello, My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My experience is quite limited, though I do understand the basics. I found the part at my local auto parts store, just can't figure out how to do the replacement itself.
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

Hi, the engine mounting bracket needs to be removed from the engine, the Tensioner Assembly is bolted on from the backside.... It requires the ability to raise the engine and support the passenger side while the engine mounting bracket is removed....

REMOVAL

NOTE: Slight axial movement of the tensioner arm is normal. Tensioner arm should move freely and maintain 50-70 lb. tension on belt.

1. Remove engine mount bracket assembly.
  2. Remove the tensioner pulley mounting bolt.
  3. Remove the pulley.

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, clicking "Accept" is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience: Chrysler Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Robert,
I've decided to move forward on this and have done the following;
lifted the engine on the passenger side slightly
removed the bracket that supports the engine from the top
My problem now is this; In order to get the 3 bolts out that hold the engine support bracket to the engine, I need a bit more room to get a socket to the bolts. How far can I lift the engine on one side without breaking something? I'm afraid to lift it much more, so far I've raised it about an inch. Also, do I need to unbolt the engine from the bottom in order to lift it higher? I took the top bracket off but it's also attached at the bottom.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The diagram was very helpful too. The engine is so close to the side wall, that I can't see most of what I'm trying to get out so just knowing what I'm looking for is very helpful.
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.
Hi, You will need to remove all mounts on the right side, the one below is a strut rod, the rt engine mount is in the frame rail. Near the front strut there is a plastic access plug, remove the access plug and you will find the mounting bolt for the right engine mount, be sure engine is supported from the bottom using a block of wood, Remove the frame mount bolt and the engine will go up enough to get at least 2 bolts out, you may have to lower the engine down all the way to get the last bolt out if you can't get it from above, once 3 bolts are out, you can raise the engine enough to gain access to remove the complete mounting plate, Don't forget to remove the power steering pump first as it muse be removed to get enough clearance for the mount to come out and the pump is also mounted to it... I will try to find additional illustrations for you....
Expert:  Robert R replied 2 years ago.

Here is the removal procedure with illustrations: Click here to view

Let me know if you need additional info...