Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

Dodge Grand Caravan ES: how do you disable the factory alarm

how do you disable the factory alarm on a 1998 dodge grand caravan? I had a aftermarket auto-start installed and now every time I go to start it, the alarm goes off.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. You cannot simply disable the factory alarm on this vehicle unless you replace the PCM (engine computer) and BCM (Body Control Module). And if you do, you will need to install a BCM that does not have the security option. The 2 work together and make up the vehicle's alarm system. Now before you spend the money doing this, have the shop that installed the remote start system recheck their work. They may not have programmed the remote start system properly, or did not connect it properly.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am a mechanic myself and work at an used car lot. I kinda thought I would need to replace the PCM and the BCM, but always like to double check my idea's before I follow thru with them. I will ask the guy that installed it since he works at the local ford dealership (which also sells dodge vehicle) and see what he says. or if there is a bypass that would need to be installed with the remote start system. it is a bulldog remote start system which I am unfamilier with and that is why I asked him to do it.

The bulldog system should have an interface to work with your factory alarm, and needs to be installed and programmed.