brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2004 Dodge durango: hemi..AWD..serious vibration at idle and parked

Customer Question

2004 Dodge Durango Hemi Limited AWD with serious vibration at idle and parked.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Are you getting a check engine light to come on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No check engine light at all.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Have you checked the engine and transmission mounts to see if they are worn and allowing the engine to move in excess?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have. They show no signs of excessive wear and the vehicle is never driven hard. 130k miles with no major issues thus far. Driveablilty is not compromised with this vibration but it is weird. I can feel the vibration from the brake pedal as well if the vehicle is in gear and I am at a stop.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Does the vibration go away when the transmission is put in neutral or park?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not at all. It simply subsides after awhile. It doesn't matter whether the A/C is on or not either.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
By chance does it change when in reverse?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll check it out. Give me 3 minutes.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No vibration in reverse.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Then your describing a bad engine or transmission mount as the torque on the mounts change when changing directions. Have someone move the shifter from reverse and then to drive and watch the mounts and see if you can find the one that has excessive movement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My apologies but I've had mounts go bad in previous vehicles and there was never any vibration. This vibration sounds and feels like its coming from the driver side footwell area. It subsides when it feels like it.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
If changing direction changes the vibration then it is an issue with a mount as this is the only thing you are changing. It depends on how the mount fails as you can have one go bad and not have a vibration too.