Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics

2002 Dakota: is stuck in park this morning

Customer Question

My 2002 Dakota is stuck in park this morning. Worked fine last night. Have 103k on it. Transmission fluid is fine and weather is 46 degrees outside. First problem I've had with truck.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Can you check the rear brakes lights and tell me if they are working when you step on the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes they do.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
Ok. If the brake lights are working, the problem is going to be in the Shift Interlock System. Either the interlock solenoid (shown as "BTSI" in image below) or the Interlock Cable. Both will need to be inspected. Check the connectors and make sure there are no loose or broken wires. Inspect the cable for binds or kinks. You can gain access to both by removing the steeering column shroud.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got it unstuck, the cable and solenoid seemed fine. Wiring fine. Is there something I can lube there since I have the steering column apart?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
Yes- spray down the mechanism where the cable meets the solenoid. There is no way to tell if the solenoid is good just by looking at it. The cable, yes, the solenoid, no. If the symptom returns after you spray it down, more than likely, the solenoid is "on it's way out".