Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner
22989858

99 dodge 24: turbo diesel..fuel pressure..the ECM..voltage

I have a 99 dodge 24 valve turbo diesel. The engine died, and has no fuel pressure. I have traced the problem back to the ECM where the output voltage to the lift pump is 8.9 volts.
I removed the 50 pin connector, and all of the pins seem to look good. I cleaned everything with contact cleaner and reassembled. I still have 8.9 volts at pin # XXXXX which goes to the lift pump? Could it be a bad ECM?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.
welcome to Just Answer.

First you might what to check this TSB Bulletin.

Let me know how it goes.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don`t believe there has been any tampering with the injection pump? is there a relationship between the FPCM and the ECM as far as lift pump voltage?
I am try to see what the voltage is suppose to be out of the ECM. The voltage you have is that right out of the ECM or at the lift pump?
The tampering could be from the factory.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am reading 8.9 volts at the ECM output. I have checked continuity of the circuit all the way back to the lift pump connector, and all seems to be good
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have not gotten an adaquate response yet, and wanted to open the question up to anyone else who may have dealt with this problem
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.
Please bring me up to speed on this it definitely could be a faulty ECM does the lift pump Run at all it is also very commonly caused by a faulty pump itself
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ran 12 volts directly from the battery and the pump ran and made 15psi
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also @ 8.9 volts from the ECM the pump does not run at all??
Checked the yellow and white wire pin number 35 on the electronic control module mounted on the left side of the engine see if you have 12 volts coming from that twin use turn the key to the start position momentarily, if there's no voltage coming from this and then most likely you have just simply a faulty control module
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have checked the voltage @ pin # XXXXX with the ignition on and it reads 8.9 volts. I did this after removing the entire 50 pin connector. all the pins appear to be in good condition, and I cleaned them good with an electrical contact cleaner reassembled, and still had 8.9 volts.

I have been unable to locate a schematic for the ECM module, but I did a random voltage check of all the pins in the connector, and found several with the full 12.8 volts which is what the batteries are reading.

Without a schematic I am not sure where voltage to pin # XXXXX originates, or what it goes through to get there? The check engine light is "not" on so I don`t know if I can get a code out of it or not

The voltage on pin number 35 originates from the EC M itself, cut that wire near the EC M and see if the voltage comes up to 12 volts if it does this means we have a short in the wiring going too the pump if it does not then replace the EC M. It's very easy to determine which one is number 35 because you're looking for the yellow and white wire
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

while i had the ECM connector loose I ohmed the circuit with the pump unpluged, and it shows that it is clear. after reconnecting the ECM I probed the yellow / white wire @ # XXXXX with the pump still unpluged turned the ignition on and it reads 8.9 volts.

I worked all the wires around on the connector, and there was no fluctuation, just a constant 8.9

This would indicate a faulty control module it's going to need to be replaced
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I expect this is going to be an expensive repair? I have a haynes manual that seems to indicate this is a simple R & R procedure. all it says after reinstallation of the ECM is to slowly depress the accelerator, and release to allow the accelerator position sensor calibration to be learned.

Is it actually that simple? Is the ECM a dealer item only? and do you have any idea what the cost is?

The EC M itself costs approximately $650 and it will require 2 hours two install it and RE flash it with the latest software upgrades
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

soo I can install it myself, but I have to purchase it from a dealer and have them reflash it ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just one last question. I have found a couple of companies on the internet that sell reman ECM s. for around $ 300.00 do you have any thoughts about using those ?
I would strongly recommend staying away from the Internet for these EC M's they can be troublesome and they may require being flashed with the latest software upgrade to run properly
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience: 30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner