Repair1014U, Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical

1991 dodge: cummins 5.9..wont start..wont even turn..charging system

Customer Question

have a 1991 dodge cummins 5.9 that won't start the battery is good and fully charged earlier on the way to work starter barely turned over enough to start the engine after work the starter won't even turn or make a noise. The charging system is good.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 4 years ago.
welcome to Just Answer.
Ok I understand you had the battery check but I need to list all possibility for you.Need to check the cable for 12 or 11 volt at the starter, if less then 11 the cable is bad. The start is the other possibility, tap on it to see if you can get it to start, if so then the starter is bad.Below are a serious of steps and possibility.

Ok what could be happening is a couple or different things:

* Bad Battery or Bad Connection with the cables or terminals ends.
You need to test the battery for 12 volts, then do a load test to make sure the battery is strong enough under a load. If you can not do this test you can take the battery to Autozone and they will test the battery for voltage, and a load test for FREE. If battery is good, make sure the terminal and cables are good. Check the Ground cable on both ends for good ground and tight.

* Check the Junction Box and Relays next to the Battery- Check all fuses in box and push down on all relays. If the vehicle is not starting, you can switch the Fuel, Ignition, Auto Shut Down( If it has a ASD, not all vehicles have it) and switch the Starter relay with a matching relay like the horn to see if it is a Relay problem(Do one at a time switching around)

* Check for codes- If you do not have a code reader please let me know and I can give you the test procedure to get the codes. If you do not have a code reader and do not have the type of vehicle to receive the codes, you can go to Autozone and rent the scan code reader for FREE . You just give a deposit and they lend you the tool to use, you read the codes, then write them down, then clear the codes. Then when you return the scan tool you get every dollar back from your deposit. Note- The computer will store old codes and will give false codes. The best thing is to clear all codes and then after you get the vehicle running, check in 100 mile to see if there is any new codes, if so then that part is bad and needs to be replaced. Checking for codes could help narrow down the problem. Like a Crank sensor, Cam Sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Throttle Body,Vehicle Speed Sensor and so on. If it is a sensor you can find this out by just reading the codes in the computer. Note to confirm for sure the sensor is bad the proper way to test the sensor is by hooking a Diagnostic Scan Tool. In most cases if the code does say it is ..... Sensor always check the connection and for power before replacing it if you do not have the scan tool.

* Loose connection in the wire harness, or at the PCM Power Control Module.

* The other possibility is the Alarm System- Need to do a Relearn Procedure if your vehicle has accept one, or needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer

* Then if all the above is good then it is the PCM needs to be Reprogrammed or Flashed. The dealer calls it Flashing, what this is,is the PCM needs to be UPDATED with the new version software. The dealer has the software or a reliable shop that has the diagnostic new updated software scanner tool. The dealer hooks the scanner up and goes in to cleans out the old module and installs the new updates to have it work better. The PCM controls everything electrical in the vehicle. This cost is about $50.00 to $90.00. It only takes a half an hour to do but most of the time the dealer will charge you and hour in there labor.

Your vehicle could have only one problem to several to be a PCM problem.

If the vehicle does not accept the updates, the PCM will need to be replaced.

You can try yourself to Reset the PCM yourself ,by disconnection both Battery Cables and hold the battery ends together away from the battery. Hold the battery ends together for one min then re hook the battery cables back up to the battery and then see if that fixed the problem. I know it sounds silly but this procedure does help reset the modules.

I know I gave you a lot of possibility's but please keep in mind I am not there at the vehicle to hear, touch, test, or drive it. I am relying on the information you are telling me. I gave a lot of possibility's so in case it was not the first thing I said or the third thing you have all the steps of what it could be. Please do the this I suggested in the order so you go from the smallest repair to the worst last.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Please let me know if you need more help. Thanks
Thank you again for waiting.