Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge stratus: a knocking sound..engine compartment..ticking noise

I have a 04 dodge stratus that has a knocking sound in the engine compartment. When driving that sound becomes more of a ticking noise there are no light or anything on in the vehicle.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Chris :

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. Does this noise increase and decrease with engine rpm?

Chris :

Also, which engine do you have?

Customer:

not sure about egine type but yes it does

Customer:

hello

Customer:

Hi im really trying to find out if this engine can possibaly be svaed

Customer:

saved

Chris :

Ok, then this could be just a noisey lifter, or an engine connecting rod bearing. If it is a lifter, then figure on spending about $500.00 to $800.00 for this repair. If it is a connecting rod, then it is more serious, and will require major engine repair or an overhaul. That may be around a $2000.00 to $3000.00 repair. Hopefully it is just a noisey lifter.

Customer:

very true i just recently acquired the car at an auction and did check the oil which was very black and needed changing do u think changing this will help with the knocking

Customer:

I have also been ready up on these vehicles and have found that they are a little bit notorious for blowing thier engines is this true

Customer:

and r these vehilces known for having trouble with the lifters

Chris :

Yes if you have the 2.7 litre V6, then they are known to "sludge up" if the oil was not changed regularly. And can cause lifter noise problems.

Customer:

ok im not the best mechanic but would u suggest that i could change it myself

Chris :

Hmmm, probably not, because there are a couple of special tools required to do this. Better to have a shop or the dealer do this. (sorry).

Customer:

very true would u know of any avenue that i can take to make this a very cost effective repair

Customer:

could i possibly buy the part aftermarket and then pay for the work

Chris :

Well, if it is determined that the noise is lifter related, then you can try an oil additive that addresses lifter noises, run it for a few days, and then change the oil again. Lucas makes some good products that may help with this and can be purchased from your local auto parts store.

Customer:

Now that the answer im looking for and if i do this i wont need to replace the lifters

Customer:

cause this is my buisness im an independent dealer and the cheaper i can get them fixed and out the door would really help me out big time

Chris :

Hopefully if it is a lifter issue, there is a good chance that the oil additive will help clean up the sludge and quiet them down. If so, then you will not need to replace the lifter(s). If it does not help, then replacement of the lifter(s) will be needed.

Customer:

ok are there any certain addivtives that you can suggest that would work great on this engine

Chris :

I recommend Lucas products or Wynns products. Check with your auto parts store.

Customer:

Ok lucas or Wynns sounds good to me. Thank you for your help sir

Chris :

You are welcome!

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech