Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge RAM 1500 4x2: a warning light that resembles an engine

Customer Question

a warning light that resembles an engine came on in my 2006 dodge ram. all the gauges seem to be showing normal. the truck seemed to hesitate a little when i would start out from a full stop. that has only been happening this morning. the light was not on at that time. it came on and stayed on as i was driving it. i raised the hood, but i did not see anything obvious. can you tell me what might be causing this and is it dangerous to drive in this condition? thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. The light can come on for many different reasons and you will need a code to tell you why it came on. Try to follow the example below and see if you get any codes.

you can get the codes from your vehicle with out a scan tool! Simple turn the key on and off three times and do not crank the engine. The last time the key is turned on leave it in the on position and watch the odometer. This procedure will need to be done in a matter of seconds for it to work. The key cycles will look like this: ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON and the codes will look like this:

In this example using a 2008 Dodge truck we got the codes P0171 and P0174 after the last code is displayed you get the message done: