Canadafix
Canadafix, Canadian Class A
Experience:  Have owned/operated an automotive repair shop for the last 19 years working on all makes and models of vehicles
25077074

2001 ram 1500: shifter..2 wheel drive into 4 high..shifting..mechanism

i can't get my 2001 ram 1500 truck to shift intoXXXXX. Last year the shifter was getting stiffer ,but it would go fromXXXXXinto 4 high .What can i do to free up the shifting mechanism.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Canadafix replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your sticky shifter.

There is a pivot for the lever that has rusted internally and expanded the bushing making the lever hard to move.

This is a fairly common occurrence in those shifters that do not get used much.

Remove the boot covering the shifter.

<a href="http://1.gif" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Diagram.

You could try some thin rust penetrant and spray it on the linkage and work the lever, if you can, to help free it up.
If it refuses to move at all, the bolt will need to be removed and the rust cleaned out of it.

Your questions/comments are welcome.
Thank you.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the rusted bolt ,where i have to remove the two bolts holding the shifter stick inside the cabin to reach.
Expert:  Canadafix replied 3 years ago.
Hello.
Under the boot you may be able to see one end of the bolt with the nut on it.
Its visible in the diagram. I have had to remove the complete shifter assembly on a couple of these to get them free.
We get a lot of road salt from winter driving here and makes a mess of this.

Not a nice job as there isn't a lot of room to work from underneath.

Also, you may want to free up the pivots on the links below as well.

graphic

Ask if you have further questions on this please.
Thank you.
Bernie.
Expert:  Canadafix replied 3 years ago.
Hello.

You can reply to me here if you have further questions.

We were just having some minor technical glitches.

Thank you.
Bernie.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bernie ,would you have an image showing where this rusted bolt on my shifter assy.is. thank-you after which i will accept your answer
Expert:  Canadafix replied 3 years ago.
Hello.

In my search for the diagram I came across a note on this problem.
Apparently there is an issue with these and it isn't entirely the shifter at fault.

The shaft that goes into the transfer case can seize up due to corrosion as well.

In the picture below you will see a shaft. (the picture is out of a Dakota, but yours is similar.)
The top where it is attached is the bottom of the shift lever.
The bottom is where it is attached to the transfer case.
Pop one end of the rod out.
See if the shifter moves easy or not.
If it does, then it is the transfer case shift shaft.
You could try multiple applications of penetrating lube and work the lever to try and free it.

Linkage

Sorry I did not come up with this earlier. I have not seen it happen before on these.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i think you are right in this case ,but i didn't get the picture that you sent. please send again & thanks for your time .i will accept this answer as soon as the picture is here. also how do you remove the shifter knob on top ,so i can remove the boot.i won't see until evening as i have to work.
Expert:  Canadafix replied 3 years ago.
Hello.

On the top of the shift knob you need to carefully pry off the top.
Under it there is a bolt to remove.

If you click on the "Linkage" it will take you to a site to download the picture.
It should work.
Let me know if it does not.

Thank you.
Bernie.
Canadafix, Canadian Class A
Experience: Have owned/operated an automotive repair shop for the last 19 years working on all makes and models of vehicles