Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan: towed..the ignition switch..shifter..column

I have a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan .I had to have it towed yesterday to my house .I cant get the ignition switch to turn .I have tried everything WD-40 ,taping on the key while trying to turn the key,pushing the shifter on the column nothing works I have been looking at the internet and a couple of site have said that the tumbler has to move to on in order to remove it is this so and how do you remove it if it is stuck ?HELP

It sounds like your ignition lock cylinder it just bad and will need to be replaced. You can try to use another key and see if that does the trick. SOmetimes the key just gets worn causing this condition. If that does not work, the ignition switch lock cylinder will need to be replaced.

If it currently does not turn using any key, it needs to be drilled out enough so that it will turn to be able to remove it. Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No information on how to drill or what size drill or what is going to happen when I drill .will the cylender turn when I drill it then what do I do to get it out ? and when I go to replace it with a new one is there anything I need to know when ordering .Please advise
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Here's the actual procedure as outlined in the service Manual on if you cannot turn the ignition key you'll not be able to just simply push the retainer clip so you'll either need to use a hammer and chisel to force the clip back in or if you use a small grinder you can also remove the clip

Service and Repair

1. Disconnect negative cable from battery.

Steering Column Cover

1. Remove steering column cover retaining screws.

Steering Column Shroud Screws

1. Remove screws holding steering column shrouds and remove lower shroud.

Lock Cylinder Retaining Tab

1. Place key cylinder in RUN position. Depress lock cylinder retaining tab and remove key cylinder.

1. Install key in lock cylinder. Turn key to run position (retaining tab on lock cylinder can be depressed).

Socket In Lock Cylinder Housing

1. The shaft at the end of the lock cylinder aligns with the socket in the end of the housing. To align the socket with the lock cylinder, ensure the socket is in the Run position.
  2. Align the lock cylinder with the grooves in the housing. Slide the lock cylinder into the housing until the tab sticks through the opening in the housing.
  3. Turn the key to the Off position. Remove the key.
  4. Install lower steering column shroud.
  5. Install steering column cover.
  6. Connect negative cable to battery.
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience: 30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner