Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge ram 3500: gauges..dashboard engine..fuse box..relays

Customer Question

05 dodge ram 3500 no gauges working in dashboard engine will not start recheck fuse box and check relays battery termanel and change key switch windshield washer pump will not shut off
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. You most likely have a failed FCM (Front Control Module). This is a small controller/computer that is mounted to the Integrated Power Module (IPM), The IPM is basically the under hood fuse box, and the FCM is that slim silver controller bolted to it. We see these things fail every now and then. The FCM is responsible for controlling many of the truck's electrical items including the windshield washer pump. The fact that the washer will not shut off pretty much tells me that the FCM has failed and will need to be replaced. This is not too difficult to do, and if you have basic mechanical skills you should be able to do this yourself. If you want the procedure on how to replace the FCM, let me know and I will be happy to send it to you.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Chris

DESCRIPTION

The Integrated Power Module (IPM) is a combination of the Power Distribution Center (PDC) (1) and the Front Control Module (FCM) (2). The PDC mates directly with the FCM to form the IPM. The PDC is a printed circuit board based module that contains fuses and relays, while the FCM contains the electronics controlling the IPM and other functions. The IPM is located in the engine compartment, next to the battery and connects directly to the battery positive via a stud located on top of the unit. The ground connection is via electrical connectors. The IPM provides the primary means of voltage distribution and protection for the entire vehicle.

The molded plastic IPM housing includes a base and cover. The IPM cover is easily opened or removed for service access by unscrewing the cover retaining nut and has a fuse and relay layout map integral to the inside surface of the cover. This IPM housing base and cover are secured in place via bolts to the left front fender support assembly.

Replaceable components of the IPM assembly are broken down into the following components:

• The Power Distribution Center (PDC)
  • The IPM cover
  • The Front Control Module (FCM)
  • Complete IPM assembly that includes all three parts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we have power to the fuse box all of the fuse lights are coming on if we put a lil starting fluid in the it engine will still runs but there is no power in the dash board for example no a/c no radio no gauge lights
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.
Ok well I still believe that your FCM is failing and needs replacing. You can confirm this with a capable scan tool that will communicate with the FCM.

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we changes the FCM the A/c is now working but the Head lights and Gauges on the dash board are still not working
Expert:  Chris replied 2 years ago.

The engine now starts?

Chris