bill
bill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  21 yrs in the field 19 with Dodge Chrysler Jeep,expert in electrical drivability
5203640

Change the headlight bulb in my 2011 Ram 2500 diesel with quad lamps?

How do I change the headlight bulb in my 2011 Ram 2500 diesel with quad lamps?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 2 years ago.

bill :

hi i'm bill welcome to just answer please remember I am NOT there in front of you! my answers are based on your information

bill :

good evening

Customer:

hello

bill :

you will need to remove both headlamp assemblies to get to th ebulbs

bill :

i am looking up the information now on how to get them out i haven't had one apart yet

Customer:

Ok Thanks................looks like a pain.

bill :

they look worse than they are once you take out a few they become easy

bill :

yours requires a few more steps than the 09 trucks

bill :

here are the steps involved

bill :

08 - Electrical/8L - Lamps and Lighting/Lamps/Lighting - Exterior/UNIT, Front Lamp/Removal

LAMP

1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

2.Remove the four plastic push-in fasteners (1) that secure the upper radiator seal to the grille support and both fender ledges.

3.Remove the two plastic push-pin rivets (2) that secure the upper radiator seal to the radiator.

4.Remove the upper radiator seal from the vehicle.

Full Size Image

NOTE:It is not necessary to remove the grille from the front of the vehicle to service the front lamp units. The illustration shows the grille removed only to assist in clearly identifying the locations of the front lamp unit mounting provisions.

5.Remove the screw (1) that secures the upper mounting tab of the front lamp unit (2) to the Front End Module (FEM) carrier (also known as the radiator closure) (4).

6.Using a socket with a magnetic insert or with a small piece of butyl tape inserted, reach down between the grille and the FEM carrier to access, remove and retrieve the screw (3) that secures the lower mounting tab of the front lamp unit.

Full Size Image

7.Remove the fastener that secures the tab at the bottom of the access panel (2) to the front of the front wheel house splash shield (1).

Full Size Image

NOTE:The illustration shows the back of right front lamp unit and slide lock with the slide lock in the locked position.

8.Reach through the access opening (1) of the wheel house splash shield and lift the slide lock (3) upward far enough to disengage it from the lock post (2) integral to the back of the front lamp unit housing (4).

Full Size Image

9.From the front of the vehicle, grasp the outboard edge of the front lamp unit firmly and pull it straight forward to disengage the ball stud (1) from the plastic grommet in the FEM carrier.

10.Pull the lamp away from the front of the vehicle far enough to access and disconnect the two wire harness connections from the park/turn signal bulb socket (4) and either the headlamp bulb (2) on vehicles with dual headlamps, or from the headlamp pigtail wire harness on vehicles with quad headlamps (not shown).

11.Remove the front lamp unit from the vehicle.

bill :

a strong flashlight is very helpful as well as a good magnetic socket or magnet on a "stick"

Customer:

Ok.........thanks Bill. I'll give it a shot. Geez,. Whatever happened to reach around, twist out the old one and twist in the new one?

bill :

we needed to go aerodynamic for fuel milage and suddenly the customer demands better looks

bill :

i still remember and have one of the "old" trucks much simpler

bill :

if you need to have your dealer install them for you it should NOT cost more than 1 hours labor

bill :

it will probably take you 45 minuts for the first one and 15 for the next one

Customer:

Ok Great. Thanks. I'll tear into it shortly. I'm a convert from a Ford Super Duty 7.3 and love this truck.....except for the headlights. Pulls the boat like its not even back there...............you know.................assuming I can see at night. Thanks again.

bill :

if i have helped you please click accept this will complete the question

bill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 21 yrs in the field 19 with Dodge Chrysler Jeep,expert in electrical drivability