Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical
60340645

2007 grand caravan: power steering whining..drained reservoir

Customer Question

power steering whining on 2007 grand caravan drained reservoir and the screen was ripped could this cause the noise?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 3 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer.

What size engine do you have?

How did the fluid look when you drained it?

Where was the fluid level at before draining it?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has the 3.8 the flood looked bright red and clean and the level was fine. I read online where the screen could get clogged and cause a slight whine. It was starting to whine at start up so I decided to try to drain it and clean the screen.

yes that is right the screen does have a history of the screen getting clogged. Does the whine still happening? Here is a TSB about the Fluid you need to use in the vehicle. This is just information for you to know about. Let me know if you still have the whinnying noise. Thanks

graphic

ok if it is still whinnying your power steering pump could be bad. Here is a test for you. Also is the screen is damaged you need to replace it.

Please let me know if you have more questions

Thank you

POWER STEERING PUMP AND HOSES

NOTE:This information is designed to be used in conjunction with the diagnostic charts at the beginning of the Steering section. (Refer to 19 - Steering - Diagnosis and Testing)

CHECKING FOR WEAR OF POWER STEERING PUMP INTERNAL COMPONENTS

1.Place gear selector in PARK (or NEUTRAL) with wheels chalked.
2.With the engine idling, have a helper turn the steering wheel.
3.Using an electronic listening tool, determine if noise is coming from the pump.
4.Increase the engine speed and have a helper turn the steering wheel. Does the noise change with load?
5.

Replace the power steering pump if excessive noise is present. (Refer to 19 - Steering/Pump - Removal)

POWER STEERING SYSTEM FLOW AND PRESSURE TEST

The following procedure is to be used to test the operation of the power steering system on this vehicle. This test will provide the flow rate of the power steering pump along with the maximum relief pressure. This test is to be performed to determine if the power steering pump or power steering gear is not functioning properly. The following flow and pressure test is performed using the Power Steering Analyzer Kit, Special Tool 6815 Fig. 1, hoses, Special Tools 6905 and 6959, and fittings from Adapter Kit, Special Tool 6893A.

Fig. 1 - Power Steering Analyzer With Hoses Installed