Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

how to disable alarm on 1997 dodge dakota

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do my best to help you on this concern.

Do you know if this is a Factory Alarm or an Aftermarket Alarm??

What is the reason that you want to disable the alarm??

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think is factory. I've had the truck for four years and didn't I had an alarm. I disconnected the positive cable to clean it and when tried to start the truck the alarm went off and the starter was disabled. Now I can't even start the truck.

Expert:  Robert R replied 5 years ago.

With that description I would have to say that it is an aftermarket alarm system. There is a couple things that you can try to get it turned off, first, look under the dash for an "Alarm Valet Switch". It will be either a toggle switch or a push button switch, most installers tend to Hide this switch under the dash, so you may have to look carefully for it, if you don't find a switch. You can try disconnecting the battery, then insert the key in the ignition and turn it to the "Run" position, then install the battery cable when the ignition is in the "Run" position. Usually this will bypass the alarm and allow the vehicle to start. If it still won't start, let me know.... Also, If you post the last nine digits of the VIN number I can check if your vehicle is equipped with a factory alarm...

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, clicking "Accept" is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

******************************************************

As you know, this is a PAY Site...Your Deposit to JustAnswer DOES NOT Pay me until you click the "ACCEPT" button...I work VERY Hard for you. Remember, my answer is based on the information you posted here, so feel free to add any additional information you feel may be helpful...When I have answered your question, please Click "ACCEPT" to complete the transaction...Bonuses & Feedback are ALWAYS Appreciated!...Need more help? Just ask...you can follow up on this question even after you ACCEPT! If you are not satisfied with my answer, let me know before accepting, and I will be happy to open up the question for the other experts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
vin 5VS274123
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 years ago.

Hi, ok your vehicle is NOT equipped with a Factory Alarm. So my suggestions above should work. If they do not work and you do not have a remote for it, the only other option is to remove the alarm system, If you need help in doing this let me know and I can do my best to help you do this, you will need to have some experience with electrical basics to do the job. If you don't think you can handle it, you will need to tow it to a shop to have the repair performed...

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help until your concern is resolved. Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert