Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

2004 Dodge Ram 2500: DIESEL, Vin C, Turbo, Eng Cfg L6..idles

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L, DIESEL, Vin C, Turbo, Eng Cfg L6 and when the weather is cold or below freezing the Accelerator Pedal some times does not accelerate the car. It just idles. It did this just this weekend while I was driving on I-70. The engine does not die, just loses power and accelerator pedal does not rev the engine. I turn the engine off and leave off for a few minutes and some times the accelerator pedal now engages and I can drive. Other times it have to wait longer. This never happens in the Summer when the temperature is 75 degree or above. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. I have seen this before and the problem is with the APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor). The cold temperature is causing it to send wrong voltage signals to the PCM (engine computer). Have the APPS replaced. This will fix this problem.
I hope this information helps and let me know if you need further Assistance with this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I looked at the part from Rock Auto, no listing for APPS just a TPS:

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) - AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S5352 - AIRTEX / WELLS Warranty Information 12 months/12,000 miles.Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 53031575, 53031575AF, 53031575AH, TPS347

Is a TPS the same as a APPS? -

Airtex Wells TPS

TPS from Rock Auto

It is very senstive to adjustment or a 1 to 1 replacement?

Do you have any steps on replacing the APPS?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

No, the APPS is different from a TPS. If your truck is an early build, then the APPS is under that black plastic cover on the top left front of the engine. If it is a late build, then it is under the left battery tray. Here is some info from the service manual for you.

Engine Mounted Sensor :

The APPS is serviced (replaced) as one assembly including the lever, brackets and sensor. The APPS is calibrated to its mounting bracket. The APPS assembly is located at left-front of engine below plastic cable/lever/linkage cover.

CAUTION: Do not attempt to remove sensor from its mounting bracket as electronic calibration will be destroyed (sensor-to-bracket mounting screws are permanently attached). Two accelerator lever set screws are used to position lever. Do not attempt to alter positions of these set screws as electronic calibration will be destroyed.

Disconnect both negative battery cables at both batteries.
Remove cable cover . Cable cover is attached with 2 Phillips screws, 2 plastic retention clips and 2 push tabs. Remove 2 Phillips screws and carefully pry out 2 retention clips. After clip removal, push rearward on front tab, and upward on lower tab for cover removal.
Using finger pressure only, disconnect end of speed control servo cable from throttle lever pin by pulling forward on connector while holding lever rearward. DO NOT try to pull connector off perpendicular to lever pin. Connector will be broken.
Using two small screwdrivers, pry throttle cable connector socket from throttle lever ball . Be very careful not to bend throttle lever arm.
Disconnect transmission control cable at lever arm (if equipped). Refer to 21, Transmission.
Squeeze pinch tabs on speed control cable and pull cable rearward to remove from cable mounting bracket.
Squeeze pinch tabs on throttle cable and pull cable rearward to remove from cable mounting bracket.
Refer to 21, Transmission for transmission control cable removal procedures.
Disconnect wiring harness clip at bottom of bracket.
Remove 6 mounting bolts and partially remove APPS assembly from engine. After assembly is partially removed, disconnect electrical connector from bottom of sensor by pushing on connector tab.
Remove APPS assembly from engine.

Battery Tray Mounted Sensor :

The APPS is serviced (replaced) as one assembly including the sensor, plastic housing and cable. The APPS assembly is located under the left (drivers side) vehicle battery tray. Access to APPS is gained from over top of left / front tire.

Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
Disconnect APPS cable at accelerator pedal. Refer to Accelerator Pedal Removal / Installation.
Remove wheel house liner at left / front wheel. Refer to Body.
Gain access to APPS electrical connector by opening swing-down door. Disconnect electrical connector.
Remove 3 mounting bolts .
Remove APPS assembly from battery tray.
If cable is to be separated at APPS, unsnap cable clip from ball socket. Release cable from plastic housing by pressing on small cable release tab.