Repair1014U
Repair1014U, Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  Diagnosticas & Electrical
60340645

How do I reset factory security in my 2000 dodge dakota sport.

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Repair1014U replied 2 years ago.

welcome to Just Answer. here are the instructions for you. Please follow to the exact step by step in order for it to work. Thank you

ATTENTION: You MUST HAVE one working remote to add one more to the system. If you do not have one working remote right now then these instructions will not work. You will have to have a Locksmith or dealership use a computer to program the first remote for you.

Click here to find an Automotive Locksmith in your area to program this remote.

1. Turn ignition to run position (as far as you can go without starting engine).

2. Using any Working remote, press the UNLOCK button for 4 to 10 seconds.

3. Within the specified 4 to 10 seconds, continue pressing the UNLOCK button and press
the PANIC button for 1 second and release both buttons at the same time. A chime will
sound within 3 seconds to indicate that the vehicle has entered remote programming
mode.

4. Within 30 seconds of the chime, press any button on all remotes to be programmed
including previously programmed remotes. A chime will sound after each remote is
programmed.

5. Turn ignition to OFF and remove key.

6. Test all remotes.

Disclaimer

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have never had a remote, I bought the truck used 6 years ago. It started doing this

with the hazard lights, dash lights , wouldn't start security system is all I could think of. i never had this happen before and I'm lost. I don't even know if it has a system

I'm stabbing in the dark here.

ok go ahead and try this out and let me know what happen if it helped or not and we will get to the next step.

*Discount the battery cables and hold them together for 30 secs. then reconnect the cables and then restart the vehicle.

Let me know how it goes.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the sting of lights. But what is this suppose to do. i mean I will try anything I've just never heard of this. If it works I'll accept your

answer with pleasure. talkt to you soon.

I understand it sound silly, but believe it or not this does is help reset the computer and in a lot of cases this is all you need to do. If it does not work let me know and I will walk you through the next step.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I disconnected the battery cables and mheld them together it did nothing same problem. any other Ideas?

What is the vehicle doing exactly, Turn key and no sound at all, or a clicking noise?

The vehicle cranks over trying to start and will not start?

What happen to have this act up?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know this will sound strange but I came home from work parked in my garage

and the next morning when I tried to leave for work This starts happening. When

I open the door the hazard lights start flashing, so do the dash lights. When I go

to start the truck nothing not even a click. It really seems like a security or anti-theft

thing but I don't know. I can't seem to get it reset.

It could be the alarm system, the ignition switch, battery, battery cables, terminals,or the Power Control Module.

We can do a couple of things.

Test the battery for 12 volts and do a load test, the battery could be to weak when under a load and will not crank the engine over. You can have the load test done for free at autozone. This is the first step.

It battery test is great, check the cables and the terminals.

Pull the fuse for the alarm system and see if it is blown or not connected all the way in.

Check your manual for the location.

Check the relay box next to the battery, check to make sure all the relays are pushed down, you can check the starting relay, or the ignition relay and switch it with the horn relay if they are the same relay.then try the vehicle.

Ok after all that is checked out, do you know any one with a diagnostic scan tool? This tool will tell us if the modules are working and can reset them or tell if they are bad.

If you do not know anyone, and you want to do the electrical test yourself to the ignitions switch and the Power control module let me know and I will send you pin outs and the locations to test for power. Lets hope we find the problem before that.

Thank you

Please let me know how the testing goes and on to the next steps.