snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

2004 Dodge ram 3500: wont start..It will crank..check engine light

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Dodge ram 3500 cummmins diesel wont start. It will crank. I have also noticed the fuel gauge does not read correct becuase at first i thought it might not have fuel so i put 10 gallons in it and it still shows empty also when you turn the key and all the lights will light up except the check engine light
Category: Dodge
Expert:  snapontech replied 3 years ago.

snapontech :

Welcome to Justanswer, My name is Danny I am here to help.

snapontech :

Lets start with something simple

snapontech :
Remove, clean and re-install ALL ground connections at the batteries, on the engine block and body.
snapontech :

Than we need to check the powers and grounds at the ECM if they are good than we need to look at the ECM for failure as this is no communications issues

Customer :

Hi I have tried disconnecting both batteries for 2 minitutes becuase some told me that would reset the computer but there was no change

Customer :

I can try the grounds on engine block and body if you can tell me where they are located

snapontech :

To reset the computers 5 minutes min and before reconnecting them you have to touch the cables

snapontech :

Sometimes you have to wait up to 1 hour

snapontech :

They get voltage in the modules that must deplete

Customer :

I did touch cables, do you think i should try it agian for a hour this time

snapontech :

Normally 5 minutes is enough but if its not resetting than I would try extra time

snapontech :

You definitely need to have the CEL on with key on engine off

snapontech :

Have you gone thru the fuses

Customer :

yes gone all fuses are ok

snapontech :

I see sometimes it maybe hard to tell if there is a bad connection at the box itself

snapontech :

Thats why we normally will try the reset if no change go thru the powers and grounds to the ECM

snapontech :

Than find out if one is dead or low

snapontech :

If they all check out replacing the ECM is recommended

Customer :

how would i go about checking that we do own a shop so if you can let me know the procedure i can have the mechanic try it

Customer :

also we have a 06 dodge ram could we just swap the ecm from that truck and try it

snapontech :

You can change the ECM but it needs the VIN programmed to it even used

snapontech :

Or it will not allow any operation but this can be done

Customer :

is the fuel gauge supposed show how much fuel is there with the key on

Customer :

or does it have to be running

snapontech :

key on it will show

Customer :

so on my truck is does not show is this related to the same problem

snapontech :

This is related to the problem

snapontech :

I suspect its the voltage loss causing everythign

Customer :

I have the battiries disconnected to you think i should put it back now or should we just wait the whole hour

snapontech :

How long has it been?

Customer :

35 min

snapontech :

Yeah reconnect

Customer :

still the same

snapontech :

Its time to check the connections and powers and grounds at the ECM

Customer :

just noticed check engine light does come on after key is on for about 20 seconds

snapontech :

Ok than I suspect the fuel pump

snapontech :

this is all in one with the sender

snapontech :

can easily be the power to the pump assembly