Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner
22989858

Dodge Durango: Trac..new clutch packs, axle/side gears, carrier, etc

Dodge Durango 2000. Trac Lock clutches broke. (as normal) After putting in the new clutch packs, axle/side gears, carrier, etc, back into place, how do you get the idler/spider gears and concave thrust washer back into place ? The thrust washer keeps pushing out as the gear is "spun" into place. Is there a special tool to compress the clutch springs ?

Thanks,
Daren
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

Here is the precedure as outlined in the manual

Disassembly and Assembly - 9 1/4 Trac-Lok

Fig. 56

The Trac-lok(r) differential components are illustrated in (Fig. 56). Refer to this illustration during repair service.

DISASSEMBLY

(1)Clamp Side Gear Holding Tool 8136 in a vise.

Fig. 57

(2)Position the differential case on Side Gear Holding Tool 8136 (Fig. 57).
(3)Remove ring gear, if necessary. Ring gear removal is necessary only if the ring gear is to be replaced. The Trac-lok(r), differential can be serviced with the ring gear installed.

Fig. 58

(4)Remove the pinion gear mate shaft lock screw (Fig. 58).

Fig. 59

(5)Remove the pinion gear mate shaft. If necessary, use a drift and hammer (Fig. 59).

Fig. 60

(6)Install and lubricate Step Plate 8139-2 (Fig. 60).
(7)Assemble Threaded Adapter 8139-1 into top side gear. Thread Forcing Screw C-4487-2 into adapter until it becomes centered in adapter plate.

Fig. 61

(8)Position a small screw driver in slot of Threaded Adapter 8139-1 (Fig. 61) to prevent adapter from turning.

Fig. 62

(9)Tighten forcing screw tool 122 Nm (90 ft. lbs.) maximum to compress Belleville springs in clutch packs (Fig. 62).

Fig. 63

(10)Using an appropriate size feeler gauge, remove thrust washers from behind the pinion gears (Fig. 63).

Fig. 64

(11)Insert Turning Bar C-4487-4 in case (Fig. 64).
(12)Loosen the Forcing Screw C-4487-2 in small increments until the clutch pack tension is relieved and the differential case can be turned using Turning Bar C-4487-4.
(13)Rotate differential case until the pinion gears can be removed.
(15)Remove Forcing Screw C-4487-2, Step Plate 8139-2, and Threaded Adapter 8139-1.

Fig. 65

(16)Remove top side gear, clutch pack retainer, and clutch pack. Keep plates in correct order during removal (Fig. 65).
(17)Remove differential case from Side Gear Holding Tool 8136. Remove side gear, clutch pack retainer, and clutch pack. Keep plates in correct order during removal.

ASSEMBLY

NOTE: The clutch discs are replaceable as complete sets only. It one clutch disc pack is damaged, both packs must be replaced.

Lubricate each component with gear lubricant before assembly.

Fig. 66

(1)Assemble the clutch discs into packs and secure disc packs with retaining clips (Fig. 66).
(2)Position assembled clutch disc packs on the side gear hubs.

Fig. 67

(3)Install clutch pack and side gear in the ring gear side of the differential case (Fig. 67). Be sure clutch pack retaining clips remain in position and are seated in the case pockets.
(4)Position the differential case on Side Gear Holding Tool 8136.

Fig. 68

(5)Install lubricated Step Plate 8139-2 in lower side gear (Fig. 68).
(6)Install the upper side gear and clutch disc pack (Fig. 68).
(7)Hold assembly in position. Insert Threaded Adapter 8139-1 into top side gear.
(8)Insert Forcing Screw C-4487-2.
(9)Tighten forcing screw tool to slightly compress clutch discs.
(10)Place pinion gears in position in side gears and verify that the pinion mate shaft holes are aligned.
(11)Rotate case with Turning Bar C-4487-4 until the pinion mate shaft holes in pinion gears align with holes in case. It may be necessary to slightly tighten the forcing screw in order to install the pinion gears.
(12)Tighten forcing screw to 122 Nm (90 ft. lbs.) maximum to compress the Belleville springs.
(13)Lubricate and install thrust washers behind pinion gears and align washers with a small screw driver. Insert mate shaft into each pinion gear to verify alignment.
(14)Remove Forcing Screw C-4487-2, Step Plate 8139-2, and Threaded Adapter 8139-1.
(15)Install pinion gear mate shaft and align holes in shaft and case.
(16)Install the pinion mate shaft lock screw finger tight to hold shaft during differential installation.
(17)Lubricate all differential components with hypoid gear lubricant.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way to do it and leave it all in the housing ? If I have to remove it from the housing how do I resetup the gears for proper clearence ? I'm not use to the durango system, I'm use to shims on the GM rearends and using plastigage.

You'll set to two's pattern using Persian blue just like you do on any diff

Differential Bearing Preload and Gear Backlash

The following must be considered when adjusting bearing preload and gear backlash:

• The maximum ring gear backlash variation is 0.003 inch (0.076 mm).
  • Mark the gears so the same teeth are meshed during all backlash measurements.
  • Maintain the torque while adjusting the bearing preload and ring gear backlash.
  • Excessive adjuster torque will introduce a high bearing load and cause premature bearing failure. Insufficient adjuster torque can result in excessive differential case free-play and ring gear noise.
  • Insufficient adjuster torque will not support the ring gear correctly and can cause excessive differential case free-play and ring gear noise.

NOTE: The differential bearing cups will not always immediately follow the threaded adjusters as they are moved during adjustment. To ensure accurate bearing cup responses to the adjustments:

• Maintain the gear teeth engaged (meshed) as marked.
  • The bearings must be seated by rapidly rotating the pinion gear a half turn back and forth.
  • Do this five to ten times each time the threaded adjusters are adjusted.

Fig. 79

(1)Use Wrench C-4164 to adjust each threaded adjuster inward until the differential bearing freeplay is eliminated (Fig. 79). Allow some ring gear backlash (approximately 0.01 inch/0.25 mm) between the ring and pinion gear. Seat the bearing cups with the procedure described above.

Fig. 80

(2)Install dial indicator and position the plunger against the drive side of a ring gear tooth (Fig. 80). Measure the backlash at 4 positions (90 degrees apart) around the ring gear. Locate and mark the area of minimum backlash.
(3)Rotate the ring gear to the position of the least backlash. Mark the gear so that all future backlash measurements will be taken with the same gear teeth meshed.
(4)Loosen the right-side, tighten the left-side threaded adjuster. Obtain backlash of 0.003 to 0.004 inch (0.076 to 0.102 mm) with each adjuster tightened to 14 Nm (10 ft. lbs.). Seat the bearing cups with the procedure described above.
(5)Tighten the differential bearing cap bolts;
  • 8 1/4 axles: 95 Nm (70 ft. lbs.)
  • 9 1/4 axles: 136 Nm (100 ft. lbs.)
(6)Tighten the right-side threaded adjuster to 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.). Seat the bearing cups with the procedure described above. Continue to tighten the right-side adjuster and seat bearing cups until the torque remains constant at 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.)
(7)Measure the ring gear backlash. The range of backlash is 0.006 to 0.008 inch (0.15 to 0.203 mm).
(8)Continue increasing the torque at the right side threaded adjuster until the specified backlash is obtained.

NOTE: The left-side threaded adjuster torque should have approximately 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.). If the torque is considerably less, the complete adjustment procedure must be repeated.

(9)Tighten the left-side threaded adjuster until 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.) torque is indicated. Seat the bearing rollers with the procedure describ

Fig. 79

Fig. 80

• 8 1/4 axles: 95 Nm (70 ft. lbs.)
  • 9 1/4 axles: 136 Nm (100 ft. lbs.)

(9)Tighten the left-side threaded adjuster until 102 Nm (75 ft. lbs.) torque is indicated. Seat the bearing rollers with the procedure described above. Do this until the torque remains constant.
(10)Install the threaded adjuster locks and tighten the lock screws to 10 Nm (90 inch lbs.).
After the proper backlash is achieved, perform the Gear Contact Analysis Procedure.

ed above. Do this until the torque remains constant.

Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience: 30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner