sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2007 Dodge Durango 5.7 HEMI. Gascap light on. Check engine light on.

2007 Dodge Durango 5.7 HEMI. Gascap light on. Check engine light on. Both have been reset three times.

Any idea what to do?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Did the dealer actually do anything to try to diagnose the problem or did they just clear the codes?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just cleared the codes

There are a few things that can cause this.

It could be a very large leak in the evaporative emissions system. After fueling it will run an intrusive test on the evap system to check for leaks. If it sees a large leak just after you have gotten fuel then it will turn on the gas cap light and set a fault code.

It could be the ESIM or it's wiring. The ESIM is the evaporative system integrity monitor, it's what checks the system for leaks. If the switch in the ESIM fails and doesn't close then this will be perceived as a large leak or general failure in the system. A bad ESIM is the most common cause for a gas cap light when the cap is actually tight, and it's a minor repair. A replacement ESIM here in the US runs $8.

It could be a lack of vacuum to the purge solenoid or a broXXXXX XXXXXne from the engine to the purge solenoid, or a broken/pinched line between the solenoid and the canister. These are possible but not as likely. Most likely you just have a bad ESIM.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I'm going to the US next week. Do you know the part number for the ESIM?
The part number is XXXXX and it actually runs $9.45 now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Great. Thank you very much. Hope this works. I have seen quite a few chat threads with this problem where dealers have not been able to solve it. I am taking the car to the dealer on Monday and will ask them to check the ESIM.

Thank you for your help. Will contact you again if I run into new problems.

You're welcome and good luck with it!