Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2001 dodge stratus 3.0L with P0403 and P0300 misfire code Checked

2001 dodge stratus 3.0L with P0403 and P0300 misfire code
Checked fuel pressure good
Replaced Crankposition sensor plugs wires cap and rotor
can the egr circuit fsault cause the p0300
car missfires bad when you accelerate
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

as a faulty EGR system can cause hesitation and poor performance, it can set a random misfire code. you need to repair this code first, reset all codes and see if the random misfire returns.

most of the time this is a faulty EGR solenoid.

here is testing for it:

1.Check the power on the Red wire to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve solenoid. repair short if found

2. Check the ground control on the Dark Blue/Red wire at the EGR solenoid. repair as needed

3. Check the resistance of the EGR solenoid. It should be 25-35 ohms. replace if not in range

4. If the solenoid passes this test, try to heat the solenoid, cool the solenoid or tap on the solenoid while monitoring the resistance on it. Trying to duplicate an open or short circuit. Replace the solenoid if it fails.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

if misfire returns, check the distributor itself as this is a common failure:

Check the spark available at the engine of the plug wire, it should be able to jump a gap equal to 25 kv.

2. If it is losing the spark when it is bogging, scope check the drive to the distributor on the Black/Dark Blue wire, it should be a 2-4 volt pulse.

3. If it is not losing the pulse but is losing the spark, replace the distributor.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.